Clare County Library
Clare Places and Placenames
Home | Search Library Catalogue | Foto | Maps | Archaeology | Folklore | Genealogy | History | Search this Website | Copyright Notice

Parliamentary Gazetteer of Ireland 1845

 

Oughtmama

A parish in the extreme north of the barony of Burren, and the county of Clare, Munster. It contains the villages of AUGHINISH and FINAVARRA. It consists of 4 principal portions, two of which are insulated, and two a little detached. Length, west by northward over the intersecting belts of land and water, 3 miles; extreme breadth, 2; area, 9,843 acres, 1 rood, 14 perches, of which 34 acres, 3 roods, 27 perches are in Lough Murree. Pop., in 1841, 2,075. Houses 325. Both the Census and the Ecclesiastical Authorities state the pop. in 1831 at 793; and they appear to have omitted certain townlands noticed in the article ABBEY. The surface considerably projects into Galway bay, contains the two headlands of Aughinish Point and Finavarra Point; and consists, for the most part, of tolerably good and rather low land. Abbey-hill, on the eastern boundary of the most easterly district, has an altitude above sea-level of 795 feet. Two batteries are on the coast. The seats are Scaveen-lodge, Marine-lodge, Mount-Vernon-lodge, and Finavarra-house; and the hamlets are Carrowntobber, Behagh, Carrownabranra, and Carrow-drumbranagh. This parish is a rectory, and part of the benefice of KILCORNANE, in the dio. of Kilfenora. Tithe composition, 120. The Roman Catholic chapel has an attendance of 550; and, in the Roman Catholic parochial arrangement, is united to the chapel of Kilkenny. In 1834, the inhabitants of the townlands included in the parish, as exhibited in the Census of 1831, were all Roman Catholics; and a pay daily school had on its books 80 boys and 20 girls.

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of Ireland, 1845
Courtesy of Clare Local Studies Project

<< Oughtmana


Ogonnelloe

Home


Parteen