Clare County Library
Clare Places and Placenames
Home | Search Library Catalogue | Foto | Maps | Archaeology | Folklore | Genealogy | History | Search this Website | Copyright Notice

Parliamentary Gazetteer of Ireland 1845

 

Rathbourney

A parish in the barony of Burren, 2 miles south-south-west of Ballyvaughan, Co. Clare, Munster. Length, southward, 5 miles; extreme breadth, 4; area, 9,633 acres, 39 perches. Pop., in 1831, 848; in 1841, 1,000. Houses 177. By far the greater part of the surface is mountainous; and very much is exceedingly rocky, and either quite waste or merely pastoral. Cappanavulla mountain, on the northern boundary, has an altitude of 1,023 feet above sea-level; a height on the southern boundary has an altitude of 635 feet; a height on the eastern border has also an altitude of 635 feet; and a height on the western border has an altitude of 920 feet. The hamlets are Knockatun, Lissaroo, Cahirmacun, and Croagh; the chief seat is Ballyallaban-house; and the principal antiquities are the ruins of Loughin’s-castle, Craggan-castle, Johnsgrave-house, and two churches, and the sites of Lissyisheen-castle and another castle. The road from Ballyvaughan to Ennistymon traverses the interior.—This parish is a rectory, in the dio. of Kilfenora. Tithe composition, 100. The rectories of RATHBORNEY, DROMCREHY, GLANINAGH, and KILLONAGHAN constitute the benefice of Rathbourey. Length, 8 miles; breadth, 4. Pop., in 1831, 4,336. Gross income, 330; nett, 312 5s. Patron, the diocesan. The church is of unknown date. Sittings 60; attendance 9. The Roman Catholic chapels of Rathbourney and Killonaghan have an attendance of respectively 600 and 460; and, in the Roman Catholic parochial arrangement, are mutually united. In 1834, the inhabitants of the parish of Rathbourney consisted of 1 Churchman, and 909 Roman Catholics; the inhabitants of the union consisted of 21 Churchmen, 4 Presbyterians, and 4,629 Roman Catholics; a pay daily school in the parish had on its books 12 boys and 50 girls; and there was also a daily school in Killonaghan.

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of Ireland, 1845
Courtesy of Clare Local Studies Project

<< Rathbourney


Rath

Home


Roadford