Clare County Library
Clare Places and Placenames
Home | Search Library Catalogue | Foto | Maps | Archaeology | Folklore | Genealogy | History | Search this Website | Copyright Notice

Parliamentary Gazetteer of Ireland 1845

 

Roadford

A village in the parish of Killilagh, barony of Corcomroe, Co. Clare, Munster.  It stands within a mile of the shore, on the river Aille, and on the road from Milltown-Malbay to Black Head, 5 miles north-west by north of Ennistymon.  Within 1 mile of it are the seats of Doolin-castle, Glashmore-house,Gortaclob-house, Arranview, and Aughavogher-house, the hamlets of Carnaun-beg, Ballard, Tooclae, Ardrahan, Cronagort, and Fishers’-street, the ruins of Killilagh church, Toomullin church, Doonmafellin castle, and Doonagore castle, and the objects and features of two hills, a constabulary station, Carrickatohill quarry, a quondam silver mine, Tonvaun fort, Aughavinna fort, Moanveg fort, Glasha fort, and a cave.  Area of the village, 12 acres.  Pop., in 1841, 126.  Houses 23.

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of Ireland, 1845
Courtesy of Clare Local Studies Project

<< Roadford


Rathbourney

Home


Ross