Clare County Library
Clare Places and Placenames
Home | Search Library Catalogue | Foto | Maps | Archaeology | Folklore | Genealogy | History | Search this Website | Copyright Notice

Parliamentary Gazetteer of Ireland 1845

 

Sixmilebridge

A small market and post town in the parish of Kilfinaghta, barony of Lower Bunratty, co. Clare, Munster. It stands on the river Ougarnee, and on the east road from Limerick to Ennis, 4½ miles east-south-east of Newmarket-on-Fergus, 8 north-north-west of Limerick, 11 south-east of Ennis, and 101¾ south-west by west of Dublin. It was formerly a place of note; but has, for upwards of half-a-century, been in a rapidly declining condition. It has a church, two Roman Catholic chapels, a bridewell, a small court-house, the skeleton of a beautiful market-house, an extensive flour-mill, and the ruins of an oil-mill; and it is a constabulary station, and the seat of the Roman Catholic diocese of Killaloe. Courts of quarter and petty sessions are held in the town,¾the latter on the second Tuesday of every month. A fair is held on Dec. 6. Within about a mile of the town are the seats of Castlecrine, Henry Butler, Esq.; Castlecrine-cottage; Ballysheen-house; Streamstown-house; Castle-villa; Cappagh-lodge; Rossmanagher-house; Ballintlea-lodge; Heathmount-lodge; Elderberry-house; and Mount-Ivers, Mr. Ivers. Area of the town, 39 acres. Pop., in 1831, 1,491; in 1841, 848. Houses 152. Families employed chiefly in agriculture, 64; in manufactures and trade, 72; in other pursuits, 36. Families dependent chiefly on property and professions, 6; on the directing of labour, 74; on their own manual labour, 87; on means not specified, 5.

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of Ireland, 1845
Courtesy of Clare Local Studies Project

<< Sixmilebridge - Historical Background


Seafield

Home


Spancel-Hill