Clare County Library
Clare Places and Placenames
Home | Search Library Catalogue | Foto | Maps | Archaeology | Folklore | Genealogy | History | Search this Website | Copyright Notice

Parliamentary Gazetteer of Ireland 1845

 

St. Munchins

This parish is partly in the borough of Limerick, partly in the barony of Pobblebrien and county of Limerick, and partly in the barony of Lower Bunratty and county of Clare. Length 3 miles; breadth 2 . Area of the borough section, 246 acres; of the Pobblebrien section, 1,511 acres; of the Bunratty section, 2,827 acres. Pop. of the whole, in 1831, 3,883; in 1841, 4,593. Houses 537. Pop., in 1841, of the borough section, 2,915; of the Pobblebrien section, 693; of the Bunratty section, 985. Houses in the three sections, respectively, 288, 97, and 152. The land in the rural districts varies in value from 18s. to 5, and has been arranged, under the tithe composition act, into 13 divisions corresponding to thirteen qualities of soil. The Pobblebrien section consists of the greater part of what constituted the rural portion of the quondam county of the city of Limerick north of the Shannon; and the Bunratty section extends northward in a narrow rectangle from the eastern half of the northern boundary of the Pobblebrien section. The area of the Limerick portion includes 29 acres of water. St. Munchin’s is a rectory, in the dio. of Limerick. Tithe composition, 266 18s. 5 d.; glebe, 15. The rectories of St. Munchin, Killonehan, and Drehidtarsna, constitute the benefice of St. Munchin, and the corps of the prebend of Drehidtarsna. The parishes are not contiguous. Gross income, 482 9s. 1d.; nett, 400 10s. 2d.; - but these sums are exclusive of respectively 43 1s. 6d., and 40 18s. 5d., specially connected with the prebend. Patron, the diocesan. A curate receives a small salary for performing the occasional duties of Killonehan. The church was built in 1827, at the cost of 1,450; of which 900 was lent by the late Board of First Fruits, 500 was raised by subscription, and 50 was obtained for the materials of the old church. Sittings 300; attendance, from 250 to 300. The city Roman Catholic chapel has 3 officiates, and an attendance of about 2,500. The Roman Catholic chapel in the Bunratty section, has an attendance of about 500; and, in the Roman Catholic parochial arrangement, is united to the chapel of Kilquane. In 1834, the parishioners consisted of 195 churchmen, 3 Presbyterians, and 3,873 Roman Catholics; and 5 daily schools had on their books 68 boys and 356 girls. One of the schools was under the superintendence of the nuns of the Presentation convent, and was salaried with 40 from the National Board, and had on its books 320 girls; and two of the schools were salaried with respectively 30 and 26, besides perquisites, from the trustees of the late Mrs. Villiers.

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of Ireland, 1845
Courtesy of Clare Local Studies Project

<< St. Munchins


Spancel-Hill

Home


St. Patricks