Clare County Library
Clare Places and Placenames
Home | Search Library Catalogue | Foto | Maps | Archaeology | Folklore | Genealogy | History | Search this Website | Copyright Notice

Parliamentary Gazetteer of Ireland 1845

 

Templemaley

A parish in the barony of Upper Bunratty, 2 miles north by east of Ennis, Co. Clare, Munster. Length, south by westward, 4 miles; breadth, from 3/8 to 2; area, 4,648 acres, 3 roods, 23 perches,-of which 237 acres, 3 roods, 11 perches are in lakes, and 7 acres, 5 perches are tideway of the river Fergus. Pop., in 1831, 1,554; in 1841, 1,634. Houses 251. The surface descends from the east end of Lough Dromore, to a point on the river Fergus opposite the middle of Ennis; and it possesses a considerable variety of character, but on the whole consists of good land. Lough Dromore lies on the northern boundary; Lough Ballyallia, on the south-western boundary; and Lough Cleggan, on the western boundary. The principal residences are Edenview, Newpark-house, Cappaghard-house, Brockville, Drumconora-house, Ballymaley-house, and Ballyallia-house, the last the residence of Andrew Stackpole, Esq.; and the other principal objects of interest are Ennis race-course, the ruins of Templemaley church, the ruins of three castles, the site of O’Brien’s castle, three forts, and a Roman Catholic chapel. The roads from Ennis to respectively Gort and Spancel-hill pass through the interior. This parish is a vicarage, and part of the benefice of DRUMCLIFFE, in the dio. of Killaloe. Vicarial tithe composition, 55 7s. 8d.; glebe, 1. The rectory of Templemaley forms part of the sinecure benefice of OGASHIN. Rectorial tithe composition, 49 16s. 11d. The Roman Catholic chapel stands at Barrfield, on the eastern verge of the parish; but is returned by the Commissioners of Public Instruction as within the adjoining parish of KILRAGHTIS. In 1834, the Protestants amounted to 13, and the Roman Catholics to 1,655; and a hedge-school had on its books 60 boys and 2 girls.

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of Ireland, 1845
Courtesy of Clare Local Studies Project

<< Templemaley


St. Patricks

Home


Tomfinlough