Clare County Library
Clare Places and Placenames
Home | Search Library Catalogue | Foto | Maps | Archaeology | Folklore | Genealogy | History | Museum | Search this Website | Copyright Notice | What's New

County Clare: A History and Topography 1837 by Samuel Lewis

 

Tomfinloe, or Tomfinlogh

A parish, in the barony of Bunratty, county of Clare, and province of Munster, 4 miles (N. W.) from Six-mile-bridge, on the road to Ennis; containing, with the town of Newmarket-on-Fergus, 4053 inhabitants. It comprises 3424 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act: the land is in general rich, and chiefly in pasture; there is, however, some craggy land and bog: the state of agriculture has been much improved, chiefly owing to the example and exertions of Sir Edward O’Brien of Dromoland, Bart. Fairs and petty sessions are held at Newmarket, which see. Besides the seats noticed under the head of Newmarket, the following are also situated in this vicinity: Ballycar, the residence of Major John Colpoys; Shepperton, of Jno. Gabbutt, Esq.; Ralahine, of J. S. Vandeleur, Esq.; Caherbane, of Jas. Creagh, Esq.; Carrigeary, of Major Creagh ; and Finloe, or Finlough, of H. P. Hickman, Esq., situated on the lake of that name. The parish is in the diocese of Killaloe; part of the rectory was episcopally united, in 1802, to those of Kilnasoolagh, Kilconry, Kilmaleery, Clonloghan, Dromline, Finogh, and Bunratty, together constiuting the rectorial union of Tradree or Traddery, also called the union of Tomfinlogh, and in the patronage of the Earl of Egremont ; the remainder of the rectory is appropriate to the bishop’s mensal: the vicarage forms part of the union of Kilfinaghty. The tithes amount to 142. 14. 7., of which 61. 16. 03/4. is payable to the rector, 30. 18. 61/4. to the vicar, and the remainder to the bishop ; the gross tithes of the rectorial benefice amount to 678. 14. 61/4. Adjoining the ruins of the old church is glebe of 23/4 acres. In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Newmarket: the chapel, a spacious building, is situated in the town. About 400 children are educated in the public and private schools of the parish, of which that at Ballycar is under the patronage of Major Colpoys, aided by a grant from the Baptist society. At Newmarket is an embroidery school, under the patronage of Lady O’Brien, also a school supported by Mrs. Studder, and a society of Ladies. A large school-house has been lately built in the town by Sir Edw. O’Brien, by whom the school, which will be placed under the National Board of Education, will be supported. The old castle of Ralahine still exists; and on Mohawn Hill is an ancient fort or rath of considerable dimensions.

County Clare A History and Topography by Samuel Lewis
Courtesy of Clare Local Studies Project

<< Tomfinlough Parish

 


Templemaly

Home


Tomgraney