Clare County Library
Clare Places and Placenames
Home | Search Library Catalogue | Foto | Maps | Archaeology | Folklore | Genealogy | History | Search this Website | Copyright Notice

Parliamentary Gazetteer of Ireland 1845

 

Tomgraney, or Tomgreni

A parish in the barony of Upper Tulla, Co. Clare, Munster. It contains the villages of Scariff and Tomgraney. Length, in the direction of south by east, 7 miles; extreme breadth, 2; area, 14,181 acres, 12 perches, of which 22 acres, 1 rood, 24 perches are in Lough Derg, and 238 acres, 2 roods, 6 perches are in small lakes. Pop., in 1831, 5,568; in 1841, 6,113. Houses 1,022. Pop. of the rural districts, in 1831, 4,407; in 1841, 5,086. Houses 861. The surface extends from a point within 1 mile of the northern boundary of the county, at the sources of the Scariff river, to a point within 4 miles of the city of Killaloe; and its most easterly district includes a small portion of the head of Scariff bay. A considerable aggregate of the area is mountainous and pastoral; and the remainder consists, for the most part, of tolerably good arable land. One summit on the southern boundary has an altitude above sea-level of 1,019 feet; one on the north-eastern boundary has an altitude of 1,126 feet; and one in the interior of the northern district has an altitude of 944 feet. The head-streams of the Scariff river drain the northern and the central districts; and the accumulated volume of that river runs eastward from Lough O’Grady to Scariff bay. The greater part of Lough O’Grady lies within the parish; and the surface-elevation of this lake has a height of 122 feet above the level of the sea. Loughs Keel and Fir lie in the interior. The principal hamlets are Derrywalter, Ballymore, Derrymore, and Knockattagh. The principal rural residences are, Ballyvannon-house, Cullahy-house, Drewsborough-house, and Raheen-house, the third the seat of Mr. Drew, and the fourth the seat of the Rev. B. Brady. The patent by which the lands of Raheen are held of the Crown, requires that a certain number of deer be kept on the estate. The other chief objects of interest in the rural districts, are three grave-yards, O’Connor’s Rock, and the ruins of a castle. The village of Tomgraney stands on the road from Scariff to Killaloe, 1 mile south-south-west of Scariff, 1 1/3 west-south-west of the head of Scariff bay, and 6 north-north-west of Killaloe. It contains the parish-church, a Roman Catholic chapel, the glebe-house, a grave-yard, and the ruins of a castle; and in its immediate vicinity are O’Connor’s Rock and Scariff Poor-law union workhouse. An abbey is alleged to have been founded at the village at an early period. Fairs are held on Jan. 5, Feb. 1 and 27, March 4 and 17, April 3, May 1, June 3 and 17, July 5, Aug. 3, 14, and 27, Sept. 6, Oct. 4 and 10, Nov. 4, and Dec. 9. Area of the village, 24 acres. Pop., in 1831, 400; in 1841, 371. Houses 62. This parish is a rectory, and a separate benefice, in the dio. of Killaloe. Tithe composition, 415 7s. 8d.; glebe, 30. Gross income, 445 7s. 8d.; nett, 369 19s. 8d. Patron, the Rev. T. B. Brady. A curate receives a salary of 75. The church is of unknown date and cost. Sittings 120; attendance 30. The Scariff, Tomgraney, and Cloneskie Roman Catholic chapels have an attendance of respectively 1,000, 450, and 500; and, in the Roman Catholic parochial arrangement, are united to the chapel of Kilnoe. In 1834, the Protestants amounted to 87, and the Roman Catholics to 5,893; a classical daily school had on its books 25 boys; and a hedge-school had on its books 60 boys and 20 girls. In 1843, a National school in Scariff workhouse had on its books 17 boys and 14 girls.

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of Ireland, 1845
Courtesy of Clare Local Studies Project

<< Tomgraney


Tomfinlough

Home


Tulla Parish