Places of Interest
St. Cronan’s Church
of Ireland church is the oldest in the county still used
for regular worship. It incorporates within its structure the remains
of a pre-Romanesque church as well as a twelfth-century chancel. It
contains the original lintel doorway; and the chancel windows are
in the Romanesque style. The church on this site was first mentioned
in 740. It was plundered in 886 and again in 949. Before he died in
964, Cormac O’Killeen founded “the great church”
of Tuamgraney and persuaded Brian
Boru to repair and renew the now long-vanished round tower. Brian
Boru made some additions to the whole and there are contradictory
reports of him and his brother being involved in church building here,
on Holy Island and Killaloe.
In 1084 O’Rourke of Breffni reduced it to ashes. It was again
burned in 1164 and plundered in 1170.
It is home to the East
Clare Heritage Centre.
was described by O’Donovan as a “rude” castle which
was built by the O’Gradys, lords of the territory of Hy-Donghaile
in which it is situated. It is a sixteenth century tower house which
was owned by Edmond O’Grady in 1580.
A Famine Memorial Park,
the “Casaoireach”, was officially opened in 1997 by the
East Clare Heritage organisation as a mark of respect to the people
who died during the Famine years. The site was previously a burial
ground for famine victims.
Garden of Remembrance:
This memorial to the men and women of East Clare who fought for Ireland’s
independence was opened in 1952. The focal point in the garden is
“The Calvary Group”.
Raheen Oak Wood:
A remnant of one of the great primeval oak woods of Munster can be
seen in Tuamgraney. A nature walk allows easy access through the wood.
The “Brian Boru” oak which is over 1,000 years old can
be seen here.