|Clare County Library||
Clare Places: Townlands
Home | Search Library Catalogue | Foto: Clare Photo Collection | Search this Website | Copyright Notice
|Ballycasey More Townland, Drumline Parish|
Ballycasey More is a townland situated in the parish of Drumline, [Dromlaighean which according to the Four Masters means, the hill of the spears1 ], in the district of New Market-on-Fergus. James Frost’s History and Topography of Co. Clare claims that the meaning of the Gaelic ‘Baile Chathasach’ is the home of Casey. However Dónal Ó Murchú suggests that the meaning of the townland name is the winding townland.
“This name has been recorded in Petty as Ballycasse. The Gaelic pronunciation could be suggested as Baile Casaidh from the word casadh which means winding or twisting, therefore the place name could be interpreted as the winding townland.”2
There are sixteen recorded archaeological
sites in the town land of Ballycasey More, a standing stone SMR No CL051-149,
and a ring fort which is now destroyed, SMR No. CL051-150.
The ring fort is virtually untraceable according to the report that was
carried out on the site.
Ambrose Leet’s 1814 Directory for Co. Clare lists Ballycasey’s post town as Newmarket-on-Fergus and the gentlemen’s seat was held by John Canny, Esq. Also Frost’s History of Co. Clare gives us information on the townland in 1626. According to the text an inquisition was held on 3rd April 1626, and found that,
“Conor Reagh Macnamara died on the 16th of September, 1623, being owner of Dromguile and Ballyhaffy (Ballycasey), and leaving as his heir his son John, then of full age, and married.”
James Frost’s History and Topography of Co.Clare states that the proprietors of Ballycasey More townland in 1641 were Teige, Donogh and John, sons of Cumara MacNamara, Conor Oge and John, son of Cumara, son of Teige MacNamara.
Back to Ballycasey Beg Townland