Clare County Library
Clare Places: Townlands
Home | Search Library Catalogue | Foto: Clare Photo Collection | Search this Website | Copyright Notice

Knockaclara Townland, Templemaley Parish


Information collected on Knockaclara Townland by the Clare Townlands Fieldnames Survey

Knockaclara is a town land in the parish of Templemaley, and the district of Ennis Co.Clare.
According to James Frost in his History and Topography of Co. Clare,
the name Knockaclara or ‘Cnoc an Cláraidh’ signifies a division of land. There are two recorded enclosures within the town land, SMR No CL026-169 and SMR No. CL026-028, known as Gorteendugh Fort. There is a legend of children seen playing in this fort according to Sonia Schorman’s project on the parish of Templemaley held in the Local Studies Centre in Ennis. Apparently “one of them was always wearing a pink woolly coat.”1

According to Frost’s History and Topography of the County of Clare the registered proprietor of Knockaclara in 1641 was the Earl of Thomond.

Placenames in Knockaclara shown on 1842 Ordnance Survey Map

1 Schorman, S. 1996-8. Archaeological / historical sites in the parish of Templemaley.p 13-14.

 

Back to Knockaclara Townland