Clare County Library
Clare Places and Placenames
Home | Search Library Catalogue | Foto | Maps | Archaeology | Folklore | Genealogy | History | Search this Website | Copyright Notice

Parliamentary Gazetteer of Ireland 1845

 

Tulla, Tullagh, or Tulloh

A parish, containing a small town of the same name, in the barony of Upper Tulla, co. Clare, Munster. Length, southward, 7 1/3 miles; extreme breadth,4¾; area, 24,531 acres, 3 roods, 27 perches,¾of which 147 acres, 3 roods, 38 perches are in Lough Cullaunyheeda, and 239 acres, 4 perches are in other lakes. Pop., in 1831, 7,514; in 1841, 8,748. Houses 1,361. Pop., of the rural districts, in 1831, 6,640; in 1841, 7,531. Houses 1,173. The central district,¾ which is the broadest and largest,¾consists, in general, of good land, and possesses a very fair amount of embellishment; but the southern district is hilly, and the northern district is almost wholly mountainous. Previous to the formation of the direct road from Killaloe to Ennis, and the new road from Limerick to Gort¾both of which traverse the interior¾the parish was hardly accessible; but since the formation of these roads, it has become greatly improved, and has lost much of its former dreariness and wildness. The three loftiest summits in the north have altitudes of respectively 533, 800, and 1,064 feet of altitude above the level of the sea; and the highest ground in the south has an altitude of 308 feet. The Affick rivulet flows along the whole of the western district, and descends within the parish from an elevation of 516 feet above sea-level; and a rivulet which flows along the eastern boundary descends, while there, from an elevation of 755 feet. Lough Cullaunyheeda lies on the southern boundary, and has a surface-elevation above sea-level of 97 feet; Loughs Roslara and Cloondanagh lie in the interior, and have surface-elevations of respectively 141 and 177 feet; and the other principal lakes are Lough Ea on the northern boundary, and Loughs Cloondoonaey, Clooncoose, and Liskenny in the interior. The principal seats are Nutgrove-cottage, Bunavory-house, Woodlawn-house, Newtown-Grove-house, Garreeragh-house, New-lawn, Maryfort, Fortannmore, Fortannbeg, Castleview-cottage, and Kiltaunan-house,¾the last the handsome residence of J. Melloney, Esq., situated 1½ mile north-west of the town of Tulla. "The Affick rivulet, one of the numerous tributaries to the Fergus, which here change their name every townland they pass through, runs through the demesne of Kiltaunan, and, in its progress for a short distance and at a few feet under the surface, passes through a succession of limestone caverns, not an unusual occurence in this limestone district. A path leads along the limpid stream; and through the chinks and apertures of the rocks the ivy and other trailing plants hang down. This subterraneous course of the stream forms an interesing and romantic appendage to the demesne, and is a place of considerable resort during the summer months." The principal hamlets are Derrybeg, Drumbonniv, Liskenny, Ballinakill, and Mall; and the principal antiquities are several forts, five ruined castles, one ruined church, and a cromlech.¾This parish is a vicarage, and a separate benefice, in the dio. of Killaloe. Vicarial tithe composition, £184 12s. 3 ¾d.; glebe, £9. Gross income, £193 12s.3 ¾d.; nett, £128 3s. 6¼ d. Patron, the diocesan. The incumbent holds also the sinecure prebend of Tulla in Killaloe cathedral. The rectorial tithes are compounded for £92 6s. 1¾d.; and one moiety of them is appropriated to the prebend of Tulla, and the other moiety to the sinecure benefice of Ogashin. The church was built in 1817, by means of a loan of £646 3s. 1d. from the late Board of First Fruits. Sittings 200; attendance 70. The Roman Catholic chapels at Tulla and Drimsharley have an attendance of respectively 4,000 and 550; and, in the Roman Catholic parochial arrangement, are mutually united. In 1834, the Protestants amounted to 172, and the Roman Catholics to 7,848; and 4 pay daily schools,¾one of which was classical, and one wholly for females,¾had on their books 221 boys and 124 girls. In 1843 a boys' school and a girls' school at Tulla were salaried with respectively £15 and £18 10s. from the National Board, and had on their books 152 boys and 121 girls.

(d) TULLA, TULLAGH, or TULLOH, a small market and post town in the parish of Tulla, barony of Upper Tulla, co. Clare, Munster. It stands at the intersection of the road from Ennis to Killaloe with the new road from Limerick to Gort, 3 miles north-west by west of O'Callaghan's Mills, 4¾ north-west of Broadford, 7½ east by north of Ennis, and 109 ¾ west-south-west of Dublin. The summit of the hill on which it is situated commands an extensive view of the surrounding country, singularly diversified with rock, lake, bog, pasture, moorland, tillage-ground, and demesne, and displaying a confused epitome of the variform surfaces of the county. The town contains the parish-church, the glebe-house, a Roman Catholic chapel, a National school, a bridewell, a dispensary, a small court-house, a graveyard, and the ruins of a small and very ancient church. The dispensary is within the Scariff Poor-law union, and serves for a district containing a pop. of 10,014; and, in 1839-40, it received £96 4s., and expended £88. Fairs are held on March 25, May 13, Aug. 15, Sept. 30, and Dec. 7. The town is the seat of courts of quarter-sessions, and courts of petty-sessions,¾the latter on the second Thursday of every month; and is the head-quarters of one of the 8 districts of the constabulary force of the county. Area of the town, 27 acres. Pop., in 1831, 874; in 1841, 1,217. Houses 188. Families employed chiefly in agriculture, 91; in manufactures and trade, 125; in other pursuits, 50. Families dependent chiefly on property and professions, 11; on the directing of labour, 133; on their own manual labour, 102; on means not specified, 20.

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of Ireland, 1845
Courtesy of Clare Local Studies Project

<< Tulla - Historical Background

<< Tulla Parish


Tomgraney

Home


Tulla Barony (Lower)