Scariff Public Library
Art Commission Brief - Closed Friday 18th September 2009
Scarriff Public Library
Comhairle Chontae an Chlair
Clare County Council
Per Cent for Art Scheme –
Clare County Council wishes to commission a piece of
art which is funded by the Department of the Environment, Heritage and
Local Government’s ‘Percent for Art Scheme’. The piece
of artwork will be external and of a permanent nature, to be sited at
the Scarriff Public Library.
The artwork is to be a three dimensional (relief) artwork to be located
on an external rear wall at the library.
The budget available to the successful artist for this percent for art
commission is €8,000.
Potential area for artwork = 6.5 metres wide by
3 metres high.
It is intended that the work will be lit and a
separate small additional budget will be made available for lighting the
The artist’s plan on how the work should best be lit should be included
in the proposal.
The work should be weather resistant and health
& safety compliant.
Artists are invited to submit site specific proposals
for the commission. The submission must fully describe the proposed work
and, in order to qualify as a valid submission the following are required:
- A typed statement by the artist/expression of interest,
no longer than two A4 pages, which must include information under each
of the following headings:
- The concept and its relevance/ suitability for the particular location;
- Details of technical specifications, dimensions, materials, construction,
- Timescale - availability of the artist to complete the proposed artwork
between start October and end December 2009;
- Support and resources required.
- Drawings, sketches to scale, and/or computer generated
images, to describe the ideas and materials in context, to be provided
as appropriate, alternatively digital imagery depicting the structure.
Maquettes are optional.
- Outline of the costs, including artist’s fee,
material costs, transport, installation and specifications. VAT to be
included if applicable. These will be sufficiently detailed to demonstrate
that the work can be completed and installed within the commission value.
- Curriculum Vitae to include good examples and reproductions
of your work and previous commissions (CDs, slides etc).
- Completed Application form.
Please note that 4 copies of the completed application
should be submitted as these will be forwarded to members of the Selection
Panel for the commission.
Submission should be clearly marked “Scarriff
Public Library Submission” and delivered to: The Arts Office, Clare
Co. Council, Library Headquarters, Mill Road, Ennis, Co. Clare and must
reach Clare County Arts Office by 5pm on Friday 18th September 2009.
Clare County Council will not make allowances for delays
in postage or delivery services. Submissions arriving after the deadline
will not be considered. All reasonable care will be taken of each submission,
but no responsibility is taken for loss or damage which may occur in transit,
storage, packing/unpacking. Submissions will be retained by Clare County
Council unless the artist specifically requests otherwise and arranges
Guidelines, Terms and Conditions:
Interested Artists are invited to visit Scarriff Public Library to view
the proposed location of the artwork. Please contact Caroline Aherne on
061 922893 to arrange to visit.
- Emailed, faxed or late submissions will not be accepted.
- All reasonable care will be taken with each submission,
however Clare Co. Council does not accept responsibility for any loss
or damage which may occur.
- Applicants are required to arrange collection of work
that cannot be returned by post.
- Clare Co. Council retains the right not to award a
commission. In this instance, Clare Co. Council reserves the right to
purse another procurement process.
- Non Resident artists from EU and non-EU countries
must be aware of any tax or VAT implications arising from a commission
and ensure any costs arising from this is accounted for in their budget.
- The artwork must comply with Health and Safety standards.
The successful submission will be subject to Health and Safety checks,
which may be carried out by Clare Co. Council.
- Clare County Council will issue the successful artist
a Contract for Services. Prior to the signing of the contract, the artist
will be required to furnish Clare Co. Council with Tax Clearance and
Public Liability Insurance Certificates.
- Signing the application form implies the artists acceptance
of the guidelines, terms and conditions outlined.
- The selected artist may be required to present his/her
proposal to the public or to elected representatives.
- Clare Co. Council is a Freedom of Information body.
When submitting information, Artists should indicate what parts of their
submission are commercially sensitive and what parts they consider should
be kept confidential should the Council receive a FOI request relating
to the submission.
- The successful Artist will be expected to work in
close consultation with Clare County Council Arts Office and nominated
staff re Scarriff Public Library.
- Clare County Council and Scarriff Public Library will
have the use of the image of the successful artwork for non commercial
use and the artist will be given due recognition.
Deadline for receipt of submissions: Friday 18th September
2009 at 5pm
Award of commission: 1st week in October 2009
Criteria for Selection:
- Quality of the concept presented
- Feasibility of the proposal
- Demonstrated track record of the artist
- Suitability for Site/technical/maintenance
- Value for money
Acting Arts Officer
County Arts Office
Clare Co Council
For further information please contact the arts office
on 065 6846267 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Or download an application form
here - Public
Arts Commission - Scariff Public Library Application Form (Word file).
Photos of proposed location