Clare County Library
Clare Folklore
Home | Search Library Catalogue | Foto: Clare Photo Collection | OS Maps | Search this Website | Copyright Notice

Curses on the McInerney family of Co Clare: A folktale from Sixmilebridge
by Luke McInerney

 

Notes

1. The author wishes to acknowledge Marian O’Leary who initially located the folktale amongst the Inchiquin Papers. This paper also benefits from assistance by Brian Ó Dálaigh and Máire Ní Ghruagáin and from the insightful comments on the translation by Dr Michelle O Riordan.

2. See National Library of Ireland [NLI], Inchiquin Papers, MS G990.

3. John O’Donovan & Eugene Curry, The Antiquities of County Clare: Letters containing information relative to the Antiquities of the County of Clare collected during the progress of the Ordnance Survey in 1839; and letters and extracts relative to Ancient Territories in Thomond, 1841 (republished, Ennis, 1997), introduction.

4. Ibid.

5. On Séamus Mac Cruitín (1815-70) and his association with collectors of folklore and Irish poetry see Brian Ó Dálaigh, ‘The last of the hereditary bards of Thomond: Séamus Mac Cruitín 1815-70’, North Munster Antiquarian Journal, vol. 47 (2007) pp 77-90.

6. Originally published in the journal Folk-Lore: transactions of the Folk-Lore Society 1910-13 republished as Folklore of Clare (Ennis, 2003).

7. See the extensive recording of folklore, amounting to over 19,000 pages, known as the ‘Schools Collection’ lodged at the UCD Delargy Centre for Irish Folklore. On a useful discussion of folklore collection in Co. Clare see Patricia Lysaght, ‘Documenting the Tradition: The Work of the Irish Folklore Commission and Some of its Collectors in Co. Clare’ in Matthew Lynch, & Patrick Nugent (eds) Clare: History and Society (Dublin, 2008) pp 541-69.

8. Máire Mac Neill. The festival of Lughnasa (London, 1962) and idem, ‘Irish folklore as a source for research’, Journal of the Folklore Institute, 2 (1965) pp 340-54.

9. NLI MS G990 and RIA MS 1014, cited in Kathleen Mulchrone, Catalogue of Irish Manuscripts in the Royal Irish Academy [nos 939-1133] (Dublin, 1938) pp 2895-6.

10. NLI MS G985; MS G987; MS G988; MS G989. The last two manuscripts record his name as Conchubhar Ó Maoilriain. Also see Eilís Ní Dheá, ‘Scríobhaithe Lámhscríbhinní Gaeilge i gContae an Chláir 1700-1900’, in Lynch, & Nugent (eds) Clare: History and Society pp 139-55:153.

11. Ibid., p. 153.

12. Ibid., pp 148-50 and Pádraig Ó Fiannachta, ‘The Irish Tradition of Clare’, Mount St. Joseph's Centenary Publication (Ennistymon, 1974) pp 49-56, see map 3.

13. Ní Dheá, ‘Lámhscríbhinní Gaeilge i gContae an Chláir’, p. 152.

14. Ibid., p. 153 and NLI MS G207; MS G481; MS G651; MS G1025; MS G1026.

15. On the Ennis school of poetry see, Brian Ó Dálaigh, ‘Tomás Ó Míocháin and the Ennis School of Gaelic Poetry c.1130-1804’, Dal gCais, vol.11 (1993) pp 55-73.

16. Seaghán Mac Mathghamhna was living on Horse Island in the Fergus estuary in c.1819 and is described as of ‘no certain dwelling place’. Pádraig de Brún & Máire Herbert, Catalogue of Irish Manuscripts in Cambridge Libraries (Cambridge, 1986) p. 95.

17. Ní Dheá, ‘Lámhscríbhinní Gaeilge i gContae an Chláir’, p. 152. Also see RIA MS 23 M 40. In both RIA MS 23 M 40 and Cambridge University Library, Add MS 6565. 94r, Conchubhar Mac In Oirchinne stated that he was the rightful heir of ‘Clonloghan’, ‘Caherteige’, ‘Tullyglass’ and ‘Dromgeely’.

18. de Brún & Herbert, Catalogue of Irish Manuscripts in Cambridge Libraries, p. 98. Also see Cambridge University Library, Add MS 6565. 94r.

19. Generally people were illiterate in Irish as most learning was oral and books in Irish almost totally unavailable. This led to a paradox where Irish was the medium for communication but people who were literate were literate only in English. Brian Ó Dálaigh, “‘Poet of a Single Poem”, Brian Merriman (c.1749-1805)’, in Ciarán Ó Murchadha (ed.), County Clare Studies (Ennis, 2000) pp 101-31:113.

20. On the reliability of Gaelic genealogies see Kenneth Nicholls, ‘The Irish Genealogies: Their Value and Defects’, The Irish Genealogist, vol. 5, no. 2 (1975) pp 256-61.

21. Dúchas na Sionna, Béaloideas: Baile na Cloiche: Contae an Chláir, [Stonehall National School Folklore Records 1937], The Heritage Council, [Extracts from Schools’ Folklore Manuscript No.599], 2009, p.56.

22. See RIA MS 23.H.22. p.11 and R.W Twigge, Materials for a History of Clann Cuilein, Add MS 39266, Twigge Collection, p. 315 & p. 317. Twigge records that RIA MS 23.H.22 was ‘transcribed in 1803 by Peter O’Connell [Peadar Ó Conaill] from the Roll written by Maolin og Mac Bruaideadha in the year A.D. 1588’.

23. Máire Ní Ghruagáin, ‘The Fair Green Monument’, Tradraí (2008) p. 14.

24. James Frost, The History and Topography of the Co. of Clare (1893, reprint Dublin, 1973).

25. Tithe Applotment Books, Kilfinaghta parish, October 1825.

26. For an early reference to the name see Ralph Wilson’s deed from 1659 for the lands of Knappoge. The earliest reference to the family occurring in Sixmilebridge is contained in a deed of conveyance dated January 1684 to a lease on tenements in Sixmilebridge for Richard Wilson. Richard served as a land agent for Sir Donough O’Brien. See Inchiquin Papers, Collection List 143, NLI, p. 594 & p. 596 and p. 146 for a reference to Richard as Sir Donough O’Brien’s agent in the 1690s.

27. Several local saints are attributed with establishing early church sites in Clare and were subsequently venerated in local tradition. These include St Conaire who flourished c.500 and a contemporary of St Senan of Iniscathaigh (Scattery Island) and who is credited with founding Kilconry church. St. Findchu (a female saint and daughter of Baoth, inghín baoth) was the reputed founder of Killinaboy (Cill Inghín Baoíth). Aside from the reference to Caitlín as the patroness of Coradh Chaitlín, there are no other references to a ‘St Caitlín’ as a founder of other Clare churches. For a list of early medieval patrons and church builders in Co. Clare see T. J. Westropp, ‘The Churches of Co. Clare’, PRIA, vi, 3rd series, (1900) pp 100-76:106-11.

28. On the early foundations of ecclesiastical sites in Tradraighe see Gerrard Ryan, ‘Pre-Reformation Church and Monastic Sites in the Barony of Bunratty Lower: c500AD-1550AD’, The Other Clare, vol. 9 (1985) pp 44-50.

29. The folktale mentions that Templemartin was located on the Limerick road near Sixmilebridge and that Templecatherine was located on the spot of the Protestant church near the green in Sixmilebridge.

30. On the grant of Killone Abbey with its appurtenances, tithes and lands to Murrough O’Brien, Earl of Thomond, see O’Donovan & Curry, The antiquities of Co Clare, parish of Killone. They reproduce the wording of the original inquisition which sets out part of the Abbey’s tithe-land ‘…two parts of the tithes of two quarters of land near the Noulet (?) of Awne O’Garna in Ballyussin’. This is a garbled rendering of the Owengarney River (Abhainn Ó gCearnaigh) which runs between Ballysheen (Baile Oisín) and Sooreeny (Siúríní), north of Sixmilebridge. Also see NLI MS 14371: Earl of Inchiquin [1720] for the parishes that paid tithes to Killone: viz Killone, Clondagad, Killofin, Kilfiddane, Kilchreest, Kilmihill, Kilrush, Kilfinaghta, Drumcliff, Kildysert, and Clare Abbey which paid tithes from certain quarters. In Kilfinaghta parish, for example, Ballysheen paid three ploughlands and a half, a typical amount paid in the diocese of Killaloe. My thanks to Brian Ó Dálaigh for this reference.

31. On the Augustine nunnery at Killone see Michael MacMahon, ‘The Charter of Clare Abbey and the Augustinian “Province” in Co. Clare’, The Other Clare, vol. 17 (1993) pp 21-7. On abbess Renalda Ní Bhriain, whose last will and testament has been preserved amongst the Ormond Deeds and who served as abbess of Killone in 1510, see Brian Ó Dálaigh, ‘Mistress, Mother and Abbess: Renalda Ní Bhriain (c.1447-1510)’, NMAJ, vol. xxxii (1990) pp 50-63.

32. It is translated by Standish O’Grady as ‘Kilnasula’s causeway’. Sean Mac Ruaidhri Mac Craith, Caithréim Thoirdhealbhaigh: The Triumphs of Turlough, ed. Standish Hayes O’Grady (London, 1929) vol. ii, p. 124 [viz. 1318].

33. According to the folklore collection of the 1930s, Lough Gash was known as Sughloch and the stream that flows into it the Sruthán. Nearby to where the Sruthán stream crosses the old road called Bóthar Eoin, local folklore identified it as Catherine’s weir and in the vicinity was the holy well known as Tober Coradh Chaitlín. Locally, a story was told that Catherine’s husband Eoin collected tolls beyond the bridge of Newmarket-on-Fergus, hence Bóthar Eoin (Eoin’s road). Dúchas na Sionna, pp 67-69.

34. The earliest reference to Kilnasoolagh can be found in the Papal Registers for the year 1256 when it was referred to as ‘Kelluonasulech’. W. H. Bliss (ed.), Calendar of Entries in the Papal Registers relating to Britain and Ireland: Papal Letters Vol. I AD 1198-1304 (London, 1893) p. 326.

35. Petworth House Archives, West Sussex Record Office, Chichester, “Tibbott Ricrard Confession in 1619—touching my L[or]ds right to lands out of his possession about Belahinan ”, MS C.13.35. This reference reads: ‘half quarter of Urllin[?] and the half quarter of Corra Kattelin, the one in the possession of John Clanchy and other[?] in the possession of Donogh Clanchy…his heirs and for and by gift, from Moretagh mcConor Clanchy, and Conor oge Clanchy.’

36. The place-name is again referred to in a deed dated 17 November 1680 as ‘Carrowcallin’ and in the vicinity of Dromoland and Rathfolanmore. John Ainsworth (ed.), The Inchiquin Manuscripts (Dublin, 1961) p. 372 & p. 386 (No.1142 & 1187).

37. Séamus Pender (ed.), A Census of Ireland Circa 1659 (Dublin, 1939) p. 167.

38. British Parliamentary Paper Report of the Commissioners appointed to enquire into the state of fairs and markets in Ireland, H.C. 1852-3 (1673), xli, 79, pp 65-9.

39. Brian Ó Dálaigh, ‘History of Urban Origins and Village Formation in County Clare’, in Lynch & Nugent (eds), Clare: History and Society pp105-35:117.

40. In 1711 in a rent roll of Henry O’Brien, Earl of Thomond, the denomination was recorded as “Boherone als [ie alias] Newmarket and Bredagh 52:3:16 acres”, suggesting close proximity to the village of Newmarket-on-Fergus, ‘A rent roll of the estate of the Rt. Hon. Henry Earl of Thomond together with the sub-denominations in each lease and estimation of the value thereof. Delivered to the Rt. Hon. the Earl of Thomond, Anno 1711’, Petworth House Archives, Chichester, MS 1707.

41. Shepperton House was a large eighteenth-century estate house of the Fitzgerald family of Carrigoran.

42. A point attested by local landowner, Joe McMahon, who kindly showed me the remains of the field.

43. An alternative translation of this is ‘the bare walls of a stone structure’. See Patrick Dinneen, Irish-English Dictionary (Dublin, 1927) p. 143, p. 207.

44. Castlekeale must have comprised a nucleated settlement as it was recorded on the 1708 map by Henry Pratt, Tabula Hiberniae Novissima et Emendatissima, in abbreviated form as ‘C.Keil’. Other settlements nearby that were recorded include Newmarket, Stonehall, Dromoland and Ralahine. British Library Maps, K.Top.51.18.11.2.Tab [Copperplate engraving], 1708.

45. See Martin Breen, ‘A 1570 List of Castles in County Clare’, NMAJ, vol. xxxvi (1995) pp 130-8 where Castlekeale is referred to as ‘Ballisallagh’ and occupied by ‘Conoghor oig mac Clanchie, a brehon’. Also see a Chancery Bill from c.1623 which relates to the inheritance of the Mac Fhlannchadha lineage of the “castle, town and lands of Castlekeale”. Chancery Bills: Survivals from pre-1922 Collection, K (undated Bills). No.11, National Archives of Ireland.

46. In January 2000 Martin Breen and Ristéard Ua Cróinín surveyed the ruins of Castlekeale at Ballysallagh West that formed part of a late-medieval complex which comprised a large square bawn. The ‘long-house’ structure measured 32m long and 8.4m wide and the ruined vaults suggest that there may have been a central tower. See Martin Breen & Ristéard Ua Cróinín, ‘Some Recently Located Tower-house Sites’, The Other Clare, vol. 24 (2000) pp 5-9:7-8. Also see Hugh Weir, Historical Genealogical Architectural Notes on Some Houses of Clare (Whitegate, 1986) p. 67.

47. See the sketch in the Edenvale Castle Survey in Brian Ó Dálaigh, Martin Breen & Ristéard Ua Cróinín, ‘The Edenvale Castle Survey of Co. Clare 1671-79’, NMAJ, vol. 45 (2005) pp 33-49:48. This is the only recording of Castlekeale having a tower structure.

48. Inchiquin Papers, MS 21 F. 137, NLI [1828–7 sheets]. The author thanks Máire Ní Ghruagáin for procuring the section of the map reproduced here.

49. R. Simington, Books of Survey and Distribution (Dublin, 1949) pp 157-60.

50. Clonloghan parish included a cluster of McInerheney freeholders recorded at Lisconnor and Caherteige in 1641 (457 statue acres). Other lands identified in 1641 include Ardbraghan in Kilmaleery parish (40 statute acres), Ballykilty in Quin parish (600 statue acres) Derrie and Maghery in Templemaley parish (211 statue acres) and Kilnahon (part of Knocklatter [sic] Knockslattery) in Doora parish (222 acres). Ibid., pp 126, 130-131, 148, 163, 169, 171.

51. Literally ‘son of the airchinneach’. The Irish ecclesiastical office of airchinneach, generally anglicized ‘erenagh’, refers to a steward of church lands and is typically associated with the pre-reform twelfth century Irish church. On the surname see Luke McInerney, ‘Land and Lineage: The McEnerhinys of Ballysallagh in the Sixteenth Century’, NMAJ, vol. 49 (2009) pp 1-26 and idem, ‘Survey of the McInerney Sept of Thomond: Part I’, The Other Clare, vol. 31 (2007) pp 67-72 and Part II The Other Clare, vol. 32 (2008) pp 27-35.

52. See MS 1777, Typescript copy of a survey of lands in the diocese of Killaloe made for Bishop Worth, 1661, transcribed by (Rev) James B. Leslie, NLI 1936, pp 11-12. The original manuscript can be accessed at the library of the Representative Church Body, Dublin [Ms D.14/1].

53. Luke McInerney, ‘Clerics and Clansmen: The Vicarages and Rectories of Tradraighe in the Fifteenth Century’, NMAJ, vol, 48 (2008) pp 1-21:10.

54. In 1655 ‘Cunarra McInerhiny’ of Ballysallagh (along with Thomas Field) entered into a lease with Daniel McNamara of Ballynacragga, Ainsworth (ed.), Inchiquin Manuscripts, No.1080, p. 353.

55. Frost, History and Topography Co. Clare, p. 182. See the 1321 Inquisition Post Mortem taken on the death of Thomas de Clare which states the ‘lands were of the lordship are waste and out of cultivation for the past three years; neither are there any free tenants or others dwelling in Thomond save only the Irishmen who dominate therein, with the exception of a few dwellers in the town’. George U. Macnamara, ‘Bunratty, Co. Clare’, Journal of the North Munster Archaeological Society, vol. iii, no. 4 (1915) pp 220-86:249.

56. Twigge, Materials for a History of Clann Cuilein, Add MS 39260 pp 180-6:182. The 1586 inquisition into the lands of Seán Mac Conmara, Lord of West Clann Chuiléin, records Ballysallagh West owing 7s 10d, while ‘Ballysallagh McEnerhine’ owed 6s 8d. For a discussion on this see Luke McInerney, ‘The West Clann Chuiléin Lordship in 1586: Evidence from a Forgotten Inquisition’, NMAJ, vol. 48 (2008) pp 33-62:43 & 53.

57. The 1641 Books of Survey and Distribution, p. 159 divide Ballysallagh West into four plough-lands, ie. ‘Trincastlan’, ‘Ranaghan’, ‘Trin McMikle’ and ‘Chaghre Monghan’. The first division refers to one-third of the caisleán – or castle – and refers to the fields around Castlekeale. Castlekeale (Ballysallagh West) and Urlanmore were recorded as Mac Fhlannchadha possessions in 1570. See Martin Breen, ‘A 1570 List of Castles in Co. Clare’, NMAJ, vol. xxxvi (1995) pp 130-8:133.

58. See McInerney, ‘Vicarages and Rectories of Tradraighe. On the vicarages and rectories of Killaloe diocese see K.W. Nicholls, ‘Rectory, Vicarage and Parish in the Western Irish Dioceses’, JRSAI, vol. 101 (1971) pp 53-84.

59. Papal Letters, Vol. VI, pp 256-7; McInerney, ‘Vicarages and Rectories of Tradraighe’, pp 10-12. Also see the petitions from the same cleric, Matheus Macnemayrkyny, for 1419 in ASV Regestum Supplicationum 129f. 63 and ASV Regestum Supplicationum 131, 34-34v, excerpted and published in Special List 43, NLI.

60. Belonging to a landed dominant lineage of ‘noble’ status conferred legitimacy on a cleric and the awarding of benefices. See papal mandates dated 1443 and 1483 in Papal Letters Vol. VIII, p. 131 and Vol.IX pp 353-4. Also see ASV Regestum Supplicationum 129f. 63. An earlier petition is recorded under the Papal Letters of Clement VII of Avignon. This petition relates to ‘Dermicius Macenkargyd’ (Diarmaid Mac an Oirchinnigh) who held the perpetual vicarage of ‘Kylomsulach’ (Kilnasoolagh) and rectory of Uí Chormaic (parishes of Drumcliff and Kilmaley) in 1382, but was to yield the latter to a Mac Craith cleric. See Charles Burns, ‘Papal Letters of Clement VII of Avignon (1378-94) relating to Ireland and England’, Collectanea Hibernica, no. 24 (1982) pp 7-44:29. The holding of Kilnasoolagh vicarage confirms this cleric, despite the mangled surname, as a kinsman of the McInerheney sept (Clann an Oirchinnigh) of Kilnasoolagh.

61. See NLI MS 14371.

62. The folktale mentions that after Thomas choked on his food during a feast with the nobility of Thomond, not a stone was laid on his newly built house and that its ruins are ‘to be seen to this day between Newmarket on Fergus and Shepperton’. The ruins of Castlekeale are marked on the Ordnance Survey maps and it is the only visible ruined ‘house’ structure that can be identified in the vicinity of Shepperton.

63. The McInerheney estates were largely confiscated during the Cromwellian settlement. On printed primary sources relating to the confiscations see R. Simington, The Transplantation to Connacht 1654-1658 (Dublin, 1970) and ‘The Dispossessed Landowners of Ireland, 1664’, The Irish Genealogist, vol. 4, no. 4, (1971) pp 275-449.

64. Knockdurlus is likely to be ‘Knockthurles’ (‘hill of the fortress’) located in Ballymorris townland in Kilfintinan parish. On the identification of Knockdurlus see Frost, History and Topography of Co. Clare, p. 408. Ballymorris and Cratloe are both townlands in Kilfintinan parish.

65. See Alf Mac Lochlainn, ‘The Irish Language in Clare and North Tipperary, 1820: Bishop Mant’s Enquiry’, NMAJ, vol. xvii (1975) pp 77-82.

66. Ibid., pp 81-2 & pp 78-9.

67. Dúchas na Sionna, p 13. In the mid-1930s only one Irish speaker remained at Mooghane.

68. In a treaty dated 1547 between Manus O’Donnell and his vassal O’Connor of Sligo, the satire of the poets was treated as a sanction equivalent to excommunication, James Carney, The Irish Bardic Poet (Dublin, 1967, re-print 1985) p. 12.

69. See Gearóid Ó Crualaoich, The Book of the Cailleach: Stories of the Wise-Woman Healer (Cork, 2006) p. 12.

70. Ó Dálaigh, ‘Mistress, Mother and Abbess’, p. 58.

71. On a detailed assessment of McInerheney landholding in the mid seventeenth century see McInerney, ‘Land and Lineage: The McEnerhinys of Ballysallagh’.

72. See Power, A History of Clare Abbey and Killone, p. 40; W.P.W. Phillimore, Irish Wills: Killaloe and Kilfenora Wills, vol. 3 (London, 1913).

73. See McInerney, ‘The West Clann Chuiléin Lordship in 1586’.

74. Anthony Bruodin, Propugnaculum Catholicæ Veritatis, Libris X. Constructum, in Duásque Partes Divisum, (Prague, 1669) p. 712. This doubtful statement is reminiscent of the assertion that Cluainramhfhadha (Clonroad) had 600 scholars and that O’Brien, Prince of Thomond, maintained 350 monks after the arrival of the English, Hugh MacCurtin, A Brief Discourse in Vindication of the Antquity of Ireland (Dublin, 1717) p. 290.

75. The title of the pedigree reads: “G. [geinealach] Mac an Oirchinnigh Chloinne Cuilein ann so t[h]ios” (Genealogy of the McInerheneys of Clann Chuiléin here below). The title of the second pedigree below the line reads: “G. [geinealach] Aile Mac an Oirchinnigh” (ie. Other genealogy of the McInerheneys).

76. RIA MS 23.H22, p.11.

77. The title of the pedigree reads: ‘G. [geinealach] Mac an Oirchinnigh Chloinne Cuilein ann so t[h]ios’. (Genealogy of the McInerheneys of Clann Chuiléin here below). The title of the second pedigree below the line reads: ‘G. [geinealach] Aile Mac an Oirchinnigh’ (ie. Other genealogy of the McInerheneys). According to Twigge this genealogical tract was scribed by the well-known Co. Clare scribe Peter O’Connell (Peadar Ó Conaill) in 1803, Materials for a History of Clann Cuilein, Add MS 39266, p. 315 & p. 317.

78. See RIA MS 23 L.37 and Nicholls, ‘The Irish Genealogies: Their Value and Defects’, p. 258.

79. See McInerney, ‘Survey of the McInerney Sept of Thomond’: Part I & Part II and idem, ‘Land and Lineage: The McEnerhinys of Ballysallagh’.

80. Frost, History and Topography of Co. Clare, p. 269 & p. 280. Also see Chancery Bills: Survivals from pre-1922 Collection, B. No. 228, National Archives of Ireland.

81. McInerney, ‘Land and Lineage: The McEnerhinys of Ballysallagh’.

82. See, for example, ‘O’Clery Book of Genealogies’, ed. Séamus Pender, Analecta Hibernica, no. 18 (1951) pp 152-3.

83. Given that the c.1588 genealogy (RIA MS 23.H 22, p.11) record Tomás not as the son of Seán but the son of Mathgamain, a margin of error must be considered. Tomás mac Sheaán Mhic an Oirchinnigh was recorded in two lists: one an unreliable eighteenth-century list by William O’Lionain in Standish Hayes O’Grady’s Catalogue of Irish Manuscripts in the British Museum, and another eighteenth-century list in the O’Gorman papers. See Twigge, Materials for a History of Clann Cuilein, Add MS 39262, Vol II (ff. 326), p. 225 and (referenced by Twigge) RIA MS 24.D.10 (O’Gorman Papers, 18th century Ms). See also Standish Hayes O’Grady, Catalogue of Irish Manuscripts in the British Museum, Vol.1 (London, 1926) pp 68-75:69-71. The latter source publishes both lists.

84. Cited in Standish Hayes O’Grady, Catalogue of Irish Manuscripts in the British Museum, pp 68-75.

85. Breen, ‘A 1570 List of Castles in Co. Clare’, pp 130-8 and R.W. Twigge, ‘Edward White’s Description of Thomond in 1574’, NMAJ, vol. 1, no. 2 (1910) pp 75-85.

86. For other Mac an Oirchinnigh genealogies see RIA MS 23.N.12, pp 186-7; RIA MS 23 H. 25 p. 84; RIA MS D i 3, f. 74v; RIA MS E iv. 4 (a) f. 28. Also in published form see ‘O’Clery Book of Genealogies’, Analecta Hibernica, no. 18 (1951) p. 153 and a reference to Clann an Oirchinnigh as among the nobles who descended from Caisín (a quo Uí Chaisín) in Nollaig Ó Muraíle (ed.), The Great Book of Irish Genealogies, Dubhaltach Mac Fhirbhisigh, Vol. III (Dublin, 2003) p. 693. Also see the reference to ‘Macanerhiny, Irish Mac-anfhairchine’ in Hugh MacCurtin, A Brief Discourse in Vindication of the Antquity of Ireland, p. 106. Mac Curtin must have been in possession of old genealogies, possibly those compiled by the Mac Cruitín or the Mac Bruaideadha historian-chroniclers.

87. O’Donovan & Curry, Antiquities of County Clare, Killone parish.

88. Ibid.

89. Westropp, Folklore of Clare, chapter 6.

90. Ibid., p. 119. On a similar tale involving a suit of golden amour see Michael Hogan’s poem ‘Warrior Exiles: A Legend of the Clan MacInnerney’, in Michael Hogan, Lays and Legends of Thomond, (reprint, Limerick, 1999) p. 290.

91. Westropp, Folklore of Clare, p.119. The translation of ‘oircheannach’ (sic airchinneach) as ‘golden head’ is erroneous as it confuses the Irish word óir (gold) with air (noble). The latter is found in airchinneach and denotes steward of church lands and is the correct origin of Mac an Oirchinnigh.

92. No translation is given in the original manuscript.

 

Manuscript G990

Home