for the Preservation of the Memorials of the Dead, Ireland
Clare County Library
Library Catalogue | Foto:
Clare Photo Collection | Search
this Website | Copyright
1893, Vol. II (2)
1897, Vol. III (3)
BURKE—, 1779. TOBIAS, of Fairhill. Arms—A cross in right chief a lion rampant, in left a rose. Crest— A chained cat sejant.
1913, Vol. IX (1)
Feakle Church. Co. Clare.
The church is near the pass leading through Glenbonnive
to Lough Graney. The patron was St. Mochonna (not to be confused with
Mochulla of Tulla), an unknown saintly lady, as some say. It is called
Fichell in the Taxation of 1302. A gable of the old structure was standing
in 1780, but was then demolished. The present church is much later. The
founder is probably Mochonna, of Moyroe, a not distant parish on Lough
Derg; commemorated under March 29th. The Burke Monument, 1779,
with an elaborate coat-of-arms, was given in these pages in 1897 [see
above]. The other stones are usually large recumbent slabs; some are covered
with sod and rubbish; in some the inscriptions are illegible, but most
are well cut and fairly preserved.
1. This tomb was erected by the | Revd Michl McNamara | in memory of his Father & Mothr | Den and Marg McNamara | who departed this life the former Aug | the 17th the later 8ber 27. 1773 | . . . . . . Amen. 1792.
2. Erected by James Molony | in memory of his son John | who departed this life march | 1776 (two short lines quite defaced beside date, evidently a prayer) . . . Amen.
3. Erected by Jamss Molony of | Clash Jan 4th 1805 in | memory of his Fater | Michl | who departed life October 7th | 1787 Aged 73 yrs also his | Mother & son Michael | God rest their souls. Amen.
4. Here lies the body of Pierse | Morisy who departed this life | on Oct the 29th 1789 | erected by his son Patk.
5. I•H•S• | Here lieth the Body of | SUSANA EGAN | Alias BERKLEY who departed this life Feb. | 23rd 1791 Aged 77 years | Erected by her son IOHN EGAN.
6. Erected by Michael Molony in memory of | his Father | James Molony | who departed this life June | 25th 1793 aged 63 years | Also in memory of his | Mother Margret Molony | Alias Lynch. God rest their souls Amen.
7. I•H•S• | Tomb erected by | (? Re)vd Demetrius Tuohy | in memory of his father | Bartholemue Tuohy | February 1797 [The rest covered.]
8. I•H•S• | Erected by John Couny in memory of his wife | Honory Couney Alias Flanery who | Dep Life the 24 | of Sepr 1800 | Aged 55 years
9. I•H•S• | The monument erected | by Daniel Sulavan in | Memory of his son | Michial Sulavan who | Departed this life in the year 1801 Aged 20 years | Pray for him & Posterity
10. I•H•S• | Erected by Tim Molony | in memory of him and | his son Stephen Molony 1801 | (Then a rough, shallow, later inscription) This is also erected by Michael Molony 1861
11. Erected | by John Organ | of Thomond Gate Limerick | and native of Feakle | in memory of his Mother Honora | who died 20th August 1822 | Aged 50 years | Of his Sister | Catherine | who died 17th July 1842 | Aged 23 years | And his Father | John died 27 Dec 1845 Aged 75 years | May they rest in peace, Amen.
12. Here lies the body of Michl | McNamara of Laccarue who | depd this life Feb 11th, 1823 Aged 65 years | Erected by his | Son Thady McNamara for the | use of him and his posterity | May the Lord have mercy | on his soul, Amen.
13. [I•H•S• between birds in a floriated border] This monument was | erectd by Patk | Michll & Richard | Broderick in memo | ry of them by | [defaced] sons | & posterity | A.D. 1832.
14. [Vault] Erected by Sarah O’Meara | in memory of | her husband | William O’Meara | late of Castle Connell | who died 14 Dec 1863 | Aged 43 years | He is not dead but sleeping.
15. HERE LIES THE BODY OF | CHARLES JAMES KINAHAN | STAFF ASSISTANT SURGEON | IN THE BRITISH ARMY | HE SERVED IN INDIA FOR SOME YEARS | IN THE 44TH REGT & AFTERWARDS | AT THE TAKING OF THE TAKU FORTS | IN CHINA | HE DIED AT GLENBONNIFF | JUNE 26TH 1863 AGED 28 YEARS | ALSO THAT OF HIS FATHER | THE REVD JOHN KINAHAN | FOR 50 YEARS INCUMBENT OF FEAKLE | CHURCH WHO DIED AUGUST 19TH 1875 | AGED 83 YEARS | ALSO THAT OF HIS AUNT | MRS. MARGARET HIPWELL | SISTER OF THE REVD J KINAHAN | WHO DIED 18TH MAY 1879 | AGED 89 YEARS.
16. | PURCELL | THE OLD TOMBSTONE LIES | FOURTEEN PACES SOUTH WEST | FROM THE CHURCH DOOR | MAY THEY REST IN PEACE AMEN.
|<< Back to Association
for the Preservation of the Memorials of the Dead, Ireland: Journals 1888-1916