Association for the Preservation of the Memorials of the Dead, Ireland
Journals 1888-1916

Clare County Library
 Home | Search Library Catalogue | Foto: Clare Photo Collection | Search this Website | Copyright Notice

Killilagh Parish

1901, Vol. V (1), part 1
From T.J. Westropp, Esq., 1900

Killilagh Church.
It is an interesting structure, in good preservation, standing between two raths: one is perhaps a defaced tumulus, and stands at the west end of the church, as at Rathborney. The west gable has only a small window, and a square-topped bell-chamber; the east has a lofty pointed window-slit, with a well-built splay. A beautifully chiselled semi-circular arch leads into a later south chapel, with ogee-headed windows in each wall. The south door is pointed. A stoup turned on its side is set in the west jamb, and the two windows have square heads, and are chamfered.

1. “Pray for the soul | of LOTT QUEELY, who died at Towmullen | the 16th of January, 1779 | Aged 84 years. and for his | wife MARY DAUOREN | who died the 11th of Ma | rch 1784 aged 78 years” (in south-west corner of church).

2. “HONORA HAVERTY died Dec 21st 1794 by Brian Kilmartin” (outside church at same corner).

3. “FANNY QUEELY alias BURKE died 20 Ap 1799 aged 53” (in the church at the south-west corner).

4. “In memory of | PATRICK THYNNE of Knockaskibbeen | who departed Decr 1824 aged 76 | this monument has been erected by | his son LAUCE THYNNE for his | use solely and posterity | may his & all souls rest in peace.” A neat inserted slab, with honeysuckle ornaments and lion, is built into the south side of same tomb, which is inside the church at the north-east corner.

5. “Monument of LIEUT COL : MACNAMARA for the Doolin family and to the memory of his father MAJOR WILLIAM MACNAMARA who represented this county for twenty-three years and died in November 1858.”

Crest—An arm and hand holding dagger.
Arms—A lion rampant, two spear-heads in chief. A large mausoleum in a separate enclosure south of the graveyard.

<< Back to Association for the Preservation of the Memorials of the Dead, Ireland: Journals 1888-1916