Antiquities Near Miltown Malbay

Thomas Johnson Westropp
Home | Search Library Catalogue | Search this Website | Copyright Notice
Clare County Library

Antiquities Around Kilmihil

There are several objects of interest around Kilmihil. Two liagauns or pillar stones stand on a rising ground called Termonroe to the south-west of the church, and possibly marked its lands, They rise conspicuously against the sky, and are plain uncut monoliths, over 7 feet high, one being 7 feet 4 inches high. Near these is a fort called Kilbride, perhaps commemorating a lost church of St. Bridget, to which they may have belonged. The defaced ring wall of Cahercanavan lies in the fields behind them to the north-west. Knockalough castle stands on a walled island, probably an ancient crannoge, in a lake, not far to the east of Kilmihil. A considerable fragment of the tower remains in the thick grove of trees which covers the islet, now only the home of coots and cranes. Cnoc an lacha is named during the deClare’s wars 1315, in the “Cathreim Thoirdhealbhaigh.” It was held by Thomas, son of Mortagh MacMahon, who in 1621 settled it for his own use and that of his son Murtagh and the latters wife More [26]. It was held in 1641 by Murtagh MacMahon, John MacNamara and John O’ Gillahinane, from whom it was confiscated in 1652, and was eventually sold in June 1676, to Paul Strange, Marcus MacGrath, Donough MacNamara, Henry Ievers, Teige O’Brien, Edward Fanning and Thomas Green. The local people only know it as the castle of the notorious MacMahon, “Torlough Roe, the liar and deceiver, who by one stroke killed his wife and child.”

Previous Chapter


Next Chapter