|Clare County Library||
Home | Search Library Catalogue | Foto: Clare Photo Collection | Search this Website | Copyright Notice
|The History and Topography of the County of Clare by James Frost|
East Corcabaskin. Corcabaskin divided into two parts; Clonderalaw Castle; References made to East Corcabaskin in Annals of the Four Masters; John MacMahon, a Jesuit, hanged in England
About the year 1488, a division of Corcabaskin into two parts, East and West, appears to have been made between two branches of the family of MacMahon. Clonderalaw Castle was the principal residence of the chief of the Eastern portion of the territory, and the boundary of his country appears to have been conterminous with that which divides the barony of Clonderalaw from Moyarta at the present day. The following references are made in the Annals of the Four Masters to East Corcabaskin:—
A.D. 1483.—Mahone O’Griffy, bishop of Killaloe,
died and was honourably interred in the Monastery of Canon Island in Corcabaskin.
In MacBrody’s Propugnaculum Catholiæ Veritatis it is stated that John, son of Conor MacMahon, of Knockalocha, by his wife Bridget Brody, daughter of “Darii” Mac Bruodin, of Mount Scot, was invited at the age of ten by his uncle Thomas MacMahon, who was living with the Earl of Arundel, to go over to England and live amongst the Earl’s pages. He was thence sent to Rome to study, and was there admitted into the Society of Jesus. He returned to England afterwards, and was hanged, drawn, and quartered, in 1594.