Clare County Library
Clare History
Home | Search Library Catalogue | Foto: Clare Photo Collection | Search this Website | Copyright Notice

Ordnance Survey Letters by John O'Donovan and Eugene Curry, 1839

Parish of Disert

  1. Situation; Name; Extracts relative to from Annals of Four Masters; St. Tola; Extracts relative to from Irish Calendar; From Lanigan’s Eccl. Hist.

  2. Old Church; (Sketch of Tower & Church;). Monumental stone inscribed to Michael O’Dea and his wife, inserted in N. wall of choir; Tomb stone near E. gable inscribed to the Neylan family; This family, who were located at Knock na Graige in Rath Ph. now extinct or dispersed.

  3. Round Tower S.W. of Church; Sketch of do.; Bell dug out of interior by persons searching for money & placed in Church of Corofin; Remained in do. till about 20 years ago when it was exchanged in Limerick for a larger one; The Church and Tower considered not to be as old as the time of Brian Boru, but supposed to have been built or rebuilt by O’Dea when he fixed his residence in the neighbourhood; Stone Cross ornamented with the figure of a Bishop and representation of the Crucifixion now standing in pieces to E. of Church; Inscription on pedestal stating that the Cross was newly repaired by Michael O’Dea, son of Conor Crone O’Dea in 1683; Is called by the people Cros-Bhánála (i.e., Banala’s Cross) a corruption of Cros-Bhan-Tola (the White Cross of Tola); Banala believed by the people to have been a woman & the patron Saint of the Parish; Story of her and the Round Tower by Jemmy Kishane.

  4. Tobar Bhanala Holy Well at which Stations & a “Patron” were formerly held on 30th March, St. Tola’s Day; The Saint’s Day still kept holy by many persons in the Parish; O’Dea’s Castle; The under part at present inhabited by a poor family; De Clare and his son killed near do. in 1318 by the O’Deas & their allies.

  5. Account of De Clare’s expedition to Hy-Fearmaic (O’Dea’s Country) from the Wars of Torlogh.

  6. Battle of Dysert; Ford of the Conflict at which the battle commenced; Its situation pointed out by the country people; Manner of De Clare’s death; Do. as described by the natives; His son killed by Feidlimidh O’Conor; Conor More O’Hiomhair (now Howard) by whom De Clare is said to have been defeated & slain; Tully O’Dea; Its situation; Notice of it from Annals of IV. Masters; Rath; Cineal Cuallachta; Maghdomhaigh; Sgrimhall na Ratha; Deserted burial ground near the Chapel of Dysert called Mainister-na-Sratha-Duibhe i.e., the Monastery of the Black Sword and Cill Lionain or Fhionain; Tobar Oirachta Holy Well, at which Stations are performed near do; Cnocan-na-Croise (Hill - Height of the Cross) on which stand the remains of a Cross; Tobar an Iarain (Well of the Iron) not holy; Ruadhan (near Port the native place of the late Master of the Rolls, Sir Michael O’Loughlin Bart.) mentioned in Wars of Torlogh; Old Church in do.; Chapel projecting from S. wall; Elevated tomb in its North end and monumental stone over it in the Church wall with inscription stating the erection of the Chapel & tomb by Donogh O’Kerine, son of Dermot O’Kerine of Owan; Monumental stone of the O’Griobhthas of Cluain-na-gClochan in S. side wall of Church.

  7. Killcross (old Church of); Large Carn in same Townland; Derraharrin Well (reputed holy); Killeen old burial ground from which the Townland is named; Mucanois (Holy Well) & small burial place for children in; Drumanoor (Holy Well and burial place for children in); Garryvohill (Garbh Eochoill) children’s burial place; Loch Iona between Baile na Gloonachta & Ballyashee into which the peasantry drive sick cattle for the recovery of their health; Thorn tree growing on bank of do., the bark of which is bitten to cure the tooth-ache, while a Station is being performed at the little well (Tobar Iona) under it; Knocknakille, children’s burial place in Ballyea; St. Innaboy’s Well in Mogowna; Cromlech partly prostrated in Knockaleassa; Killeacon burial place from which the Townland is named; St. Mac Duach’s Well in Tirnea; Rannahan small burial place for children; Killcrosfadda children’s burial place in Drumanoor; Kilkee (children’s burial place from which the Townland is named); Tobar a tSagairt or Priest’s Well (holy) in Soheen; Teampull-Duv-na-h-Eidhnighe burial ground in Eidhneach Vill. & Carrowkeale Townland; Ballygriffy (Baile Ui Ghriobtha) old Castle formerly inhabited by O’Griobhtha; Mentioned in Annals of IV. Masters; and also in list of Castles in Barony of Tully O’Dea made in reign of Q. Elizabeth and now preserved in MS. Lib. Trin. Col. Dub.; Dromore & Cahermacrea old Castles, remains of; Teampull Aodh Mic Conaill (Church of Hugh, son of Connell) old Church & burial ground for strangers and Children in Aughrim.


Chapter 6


Chapter 8