Clare County Library
Clare History
Home | Search Library Catalogue | Foto: Clare Photo Collection | Search this Website | Copyright Notice

Ordnance Survey Letters by John O'Donovan and Eugene Curry, 1839

Parish of Killokennedy

  1. Situation; Name; Is exactly coextensive with the valley district of Glenomra, of which the O’Kennedys were the ancient chiefs; Authenticity of the ancient Irish documents proved by tradition and the natural features of the country; Quotation from O’Heerin’s poem, relative to the Territory of O’Kennedy; Old Church; Holy well to the south east of do. dedicated to Saint Cronan, the Patron of the Parish (probably Saint Cronan of Tomgraney); Large ash tree beside it and stone with inscription stating that it was planted by W. Doogan P.P. Anno 1773; Tomb of the Priest with inscription in Churchyard; Glan-Omra Castle (site of) in Cloongaheen East – Set down in College list of castles of Thomond as belonging to Terilogh Mac Donel Roe (probably a Macnamara); Site of dwelling house near do. which belonged to an English family named Hovendon; Cromlechs or pagan graves, incorrectly called by the natives Beds of Dermot and Grania – in Cloonaconrymore, Fermoylemore and Killokennedy; Fermoyle mentioned in Wars of Torlogh; Kilmore in this Parish mentioned in Leabhar Breac as the locality of O’Hanoc and O’Kellchin, who in conjunction with O’Sluaisti, stole his mules, asses and horses from a Cardinal sent to Ireland in time of Donnell Mor O’Brien, King of Munster; Copy of part of the original passage; The robbery stated in same document to have been the cause of the English Invasion.


Chapter 65


Chapter 67