Clare County Library
Clare Places and Placenames
Home | Search Library Catalogue | Foto | Maps | Archaeology | Folklore | Genealogy | History | Museum | Search this Website | Copyright Notice | What's New

County Clare: A History and Topography 1837 by Samuel Lewis

Cloney, or Clonie

A parish, in the barony of Bunratty, county of Clare, and province of Munster, 41/2 miles (E. by N.) from Ennis ; containing 3531 inhabitants. This parish is situated on the road from Ennis to Tulla, and contains about 7695 statute acres, which are mostly in tillage, and agriculture is improving : there are about 2260 acres of bog. At Ballylisky a lead mine was discovered in 1834, yielding ore of superior quality, which is shipped for Wales at Clare. Fairs for live stock are held at Spancel hill on Jan. 1st, May 3rd, June 24th, Aug. 20th, and Dec. 3rd. In Clonie, the demesne of Burton Bindon, Esq., are a small lake, and the ruins of the old church and castle of Clonie. The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Killaloe, and is part of the union of Quinn : the rectory is partly appropriate to the prebend of Tullagh in the cathedral of St. Flannan, Killaloe, and partly constitutes a portion of the sinecure union of Ogashin. The tithes amount to 221. 10. 91/4., of which 92. 6. 13/4. is payable to the rector, 106. 3. 1. to the vicar, and 23. 1. 61/2. to the prebendary of Tullagh. In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Quinn, in which the parochial chapel is situated, and there is a chapel of ease in the demesne of Clonie. At Spancel Hill is a school under the patronage of A. Hogan, Esq. ; and in the parish are two hedge schools, in which are about 130 boys and 60 girls.

County Clare A History and Topography by Samuel Lewis
Courtesy of Clare Local Studies Project

<< Clooney Parish (Bunratty Upper)