Clare County Library
Clare Places: Towns & Villages
Home | Library Catalogue | Forums | Foto | Maps | Archaeology | History | Search this Website | Copyright Notice | Visitors' Book | Contact Us | What's New

feakle cottages
Places of Interest
  • TUATH ECHTGHE is an ancient district comprising the greater part of the Slieve Aughty or Sliabh Echtghe mountain range. This was mentioned in MacNamara’s Rent Roll as a distinct territory but does not appear to have formed the estate of any particular sept. Before the year 1318 it was part of the territory of the Ui Bloid and it is likely that it originally formed part of O’Shanahan’s country.
  • LOUGH GRANEY is the largest lake in the county with the exception of Lough Derg, which is shared between Clare, Galway and Tipperary. To the east of the lake is Flagmount, to the west is Killanena. The two are now combined in the present Roman Catholic parish of Killanena-Flagmount, which contains up to twenty five townlands. The lake is in the centre of a region renowned for its game. Grouse, pheasant, partridge, quail, woodcock and wild duck abound. In fact, this is one of the few districts in the entire country where one may come upon the occasional wild deer. Domestic deer from Dromoland or Portumna often find their way here to breed with others of their kind in the wilds of the Slieve Aughty mountains.
  • Biddy Early's cottageCOTTAGE OF Biddy Early

  • KILBARRON: The Battle of Kilbarron took place in 1289. The Normans invaded Thomond from Castleconnell under the leadership of Maurice Fitzgerald. They were met at Kilbarron, one mile south of Feakle, by a united group of MacNamaras, O’Briens, Moloneys, McInerneys, McGraths, O’Gradys, O’Hyneses and O’Shaughnessys, under the leadership of Conor O’Brien. The Irish forces routed the invaders and slaughtered many of them in Coolreagh Bog. They pursued the surviving Normans as far as Castleconnell where they attacked and took the castle. This battle was as crucial for East Clare as the Battle of Dysert O’ Dea was for the western portion of the county.

  • FEAKLE COMMUNITY CENTRE: The Community Hall was opened in 1972 by Fr. Harry Bohan. Since then it has been one of the villages prime assets, an amenity which is used for sports and leisure activities by young and old.