Clare County Library
Clare Places and Placenames
Home | Search Library Catalogue | Foto | Maps | Archaeology | Folklore | Genealogy | History | Search this Website | Copyright Notice

Parliamentary Gazetteer of Ireland 1845



A parish on the east border of the barony of Clonderalaw, 3 miles north-north-east of Kildysart, Co. Clare, Munster. It contains the village of BALLINACALLY. Length, 5 miles; breadth, 2; area, 7,061 acres, 2 roods, 8 perches. Pop., in 1831, 2,569; in 1841, 2,974. Houses 463. The surface forms the central part of the western sea-board of the estuary of the Fergus; consists of variously good and indifferent land; and blends with the adjacent lands and waters in producing a superb landscape. A height toward the west has an altitude of 559 feet. The villas of Fort Fergus, Cornfield, Cloonakilla, and Paradise, the last the seat of Thomas Arthur, Esq., occupy beautiful sites on the east border of the parish, and command charming views of the aqueous expanse and the large fertile islands of the Fergus. The parochial area includes 444 acres, 1 rood, 36 perches of islands, —the chief of which is Deer Island; and it includes also 1 acre, 1 rood, 24 perches of tideway in the Owenslieve river on the north border. The antiquities are the ruins of two churches and of Dangan castle. The road from Kildysart to Ennis passes through the interior. This parish is a vicarage, and part of the benefice of KILDYSART, in the dio. of Killaloe. The vicarial tithes are compounded for 105, and the rectorial for 147 13s. 10d.; and of the latter, the proportion of 64 12s. 3d. is impropriate in Bindon Scott, Esq., and that of 83 1s. 6d. in J Studdart, Esq., as lessee of the Earl of Egremont. The Roman Catholic chapel has an attendance of 800. In 1834, the Protestants amounted to 36, and the Roman Catholics to 2,722; and 4 hedge-schools had on their books 140 boys and 102 girls. In 1839, the National Board granted 126 toward the erection of a boys’ school and a girls’ school at Ballinaculla.

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of Ireland, 1845
Courtesy of Clare Local Studies Project

<< Kilchreest