Clare County Library
Clare Places and Placenames
Home | Search Library Catalogue | Foto | Maps | Archaeology | Folklore | Genealogy | History | Search this Website | Copyright Notice

Parliamentary Gazetteer of Ireland 1845


Kildysart or Killadysert

A parish, containing a post village of the same name, on the east border of the barony of Clonderalaw, co. Clare, Munster. Length, 7 miles; breadth, 4; area, 12,859 acres, 1 rood, 4 perches, -of which 130 acres, 2 roods, 16 perches are water. Pop., in 1831, 4,501; in 1841, 5,130. Houses 753. Pop. of the rural districts, in 1831, 4,164; in 1841, 4,526. Houses 673. The surface consists partly of islands in the estuaries of the Fergus and the Shannon, partly of a portion of the rich and beautiful western sea-board of the Fergus' estuary, and partly of a portion of the moorish frontier heights of the western uplands of the county. The land may, in an aggregate view, be pronounced, partly good and partly middle-rate. The chief islands are Inishmacowney, Canon, Inishloe, Coney, and Inishtubrid; and both these islands and the sea-board at once form and command beautiful objects for the poet, and fine subjects for the painter. The post-road from Ennis to Kilrush-ill-constructed and hilly-passes along the coast, and through the village. The lakes Gortglass and Cloonsnaghta, 2 miles from the Fergus, have an elevation of respectively 224 and 236 feet above sea-level; and a height a little south of the latter has an altitude of 425 feet. The seats are Rosshill, Crovraghan, Lanesborough, Ballyvoghane, and Ballylean; and part also of the demesne of Cahiracon, the property of John Scott, Esq., and one of the most beautiful and romantic demesnes on either the Fergus or the Shannon, lies within the southern boundary. The inhabitants of the parish enjoy the facilities of water-communication with Limerick and the ocean, and will reap some advantages from the improvements effected by the Shannon Navigation Commissioners The village of Kildysert stands on the Ennis and Kilrush road, and on the shore of the Fergus, opposite the island of Innisherk, 12 miles south-south-west of Ennis, and 15 miles east by north of Kilrush. Fairs are held on May 22, and Aug. 27. A dispensary here is within the Kilrush Poor-law union, and serves for a pop. of 5,457; and in 1839-40, it expended 82 and administered to 1,121 patients. Area of the village, 17 acres. Pop., in 1831, 337; in 1841, 604. Houses 80. Families employed chiefly in agriculture, 33; in manufactures and trade, 64; in other pursuits 17. Families dependent chiefly on property and professions, 9; on the directing of labour, 59; on their own manual labour, 43; on means not specified, 3. -This parish is a vicarage, in the dio. of Killaloe. Vicarial tithe composition, 150; glebe, 24. The rectorial tithes are compounded for 276 18s. 4d.; and are impropriate in Bindon Scott, Esq. The vicarages of Kildysert and KILCHRIST and the rectory of KILFARBOY constitute the benefice of Kildysert, yet only the two vicarages constitute the cure. Length, 9 miles. Pop., in 1831, 7,070. Gross income, 594; nett, 537 18s. 5d. Patron, the Earl of Egremont. The incumbent holds also the small stipendary curacy of Kilmurry-Ibrickane. A curate for Kildysert has a salary of 75. The church was built in 1814, by means of a gift of 461 10s. 9d. from the late Board of First Fruits. Sittings 150; attendance 12. The Kildysert Roman Catholic chapel has an attendance of 1,500. There is a Roman Catholic chapel also in Kilchrist. In 1834, the Protestants of the parish amounted to 32, and the Roman Catholics to 4,802; the Protestants of the union to 68, and the Roman Catholics to 7,524; 2

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of Ireland, 1845
Courtesy of Clare Local Studies Project

<< Kildysart (Historical Background)