Clare County Library
Clare Places and Placenames
Home | Search Library Catalogue | Foto | Maps | Archaeology | Folklore | Genealogy | History | Search this Website | Copyright Notice

Parliamentary Gazetteer of Ireland 1845



A parish in the north-west corner of the barony of Corcomroe, 6 miles north-west by north of Ennistymon, Co. Clare, Munster. It contains the villages of ROADFORD and FISHER-STREET. Length, 5 miles; breadth, 4; area, 12,357 acres, 1 rood, 15 perches,—of which 22 acres, 2 roods, 12 perches are water. Pop., in 1831, 3,359; in 1841, 3,904. Houses 644. Pop. of the rural districts, in 1841, 3,551. Houses 586. It lies along the South Sound, directly opposite the islands of Arran; and has a mountainous, broken, and pastoral surface. At the small bay of Doolin, which indents the coast, the schistose rocks which compose the cliffs all the way hither from the entrance of the Shannon, are succeeded by the limestone of the barony of Burren. In the vicinity of the bay is Doolin Castle, the seat of W. N. Macnamarra, Esq. No fewer than 9 or 10 hamlets are sprinkled over the interior. The chief roads are the coast one from Blackhead bay round to Ennistymon, and a branch one from this to Kilfenora.—This parish is a rectory, and a vicarage, in the dio. of Kilfenora. Tithe composition 221 10s. 9d. The rectories and vicarages of Killeilagh and Kilmoon, and the rectory of Carrune, constitute the benefice of Killeilagh; but the rectory of Carrune is a sinecure. Pop., in 1831, 4,447. Gross income, 330 7s. 8d.; nett, 312 6s. 4d. Patron of the rectories, the Marquis of Thomond; of the vicarages, the diocesan. The incumbent holds also the benefice of Kilmahon, in the dio. of Cloyne, and resides on that benefice. There is no church. The Roman Catholic chapel has an attendance of 400; and, in the Roman Catholic parochial arrangement, is united to the chapel of Clouney. In 1834, the Protestants of the parish and union amounted to 62; the Roman Catholics of the parish and union to respectively 3,546 and 4,712; 2 daily schools in the parish—one of which was salaried with 20 from the Baptist Society—had on their books 74 boys and 8 girls; and 2 other daily schools in the parish were shut during winter, and made no report of their attendance.

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of Ireland, 1845
Courtesy of Clare Local Studies Project

<< Killilagh