|Clare County Library
Clare Places and Placenames
County Clare: A History and Topography 1837 by Samuel Lewis
|Killonoghan, or Killonahon
A parish, in the barony of Burren, county of Clare, and province of Munster, 13 miles (S. W.) from Burren, on the western coast ; containing 1185 inhabitants. This parish consists principally of rocky mountain pasture, affording scanty but rich herbage ; a detached portion is situated at some distance to the south-east, and another portion is isolated by the parish of Glaninagh. Lead is found in the vicinity of Glenvaan, and it is supposed that a vein extends into the limestone hills of Burren. It is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Kilfenora, forming part of the union of Dromcrehy, or Rathbourney, and the corps of the treasurership of the cathedral of Kilfenora : the tithes amount to £82. 10. In the R. C. divisions it is part of the union or district of Glynn, or Glenarragha, and has a chapel at Stone-hall. About 50 children are educated in a private school. There are some remains of the old church, near which are the ruins of a castle, which consisted of a round tower.
County Clare A History and Topography
by Samuel Lewis