Clare County Library
Clare Places and Placenames
Home | Search Library Catalogue | Foto | Maps | Archaeology | Folklore | Genealogy | History | Search this Website | Copyright Notice

Parliamentary Gazetteer of Ireland 1845



A parish in the barony of Lower Tulla, 2 miles north-north-west of Broadford, Co. Clare, Munster. It contains the village of CALLAGHAN’S-MILLS. Length, 3 miles; breadth, 3; area, 7,103 acres, 1 rood, 6 perches,—of which 293 acres, 11 perches are in Lough Doon, and 127 acres, 2 roods, 25 perches are in small lakes. Pop., in 1831, 2,942; in 1841, 3,058. Houses 480. Pop. of the rural districts, in 1841, 2,727. Houses 422. A large part of the surface is light and mountainous. The lake of Doon lies on the south-west boundary; and a part of the vale of the Ougarnee rivulet forms the west border. The road from Killaloe to Ennis passes along the south-west, and through Callaghan’s Mills.—This parish is a rectory and a vicarage, in the dio. of Killaloe. The rectory is part of the sinecure benefice of O’MULLOD. Tithe composition, 78 5s. 6d. The vicarage is part of the benefice of KILSEILY. Vicarial tithe composition, 92 6s. 2d. But a portion of the tithes, compounded for 33 10s., is appropriated to the prebend of Tomgrany in Killaloe cathedral. The Roman Catholic chapel has an attendance of 900; and, in the Roman Catholic parochial arrangement, is united to the chapel of Killishen. In 1834, the Protestants amounted to 15, and the Roman Catholics to 3,159; and 2 pay daily schools had on their books 118 boys and 81 girls.

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of Ireland, 1845
Courtesy of Clare Local Studies Project

<< Killurane