Clare County Library
Clare Places and Placenames
Home | Search Library Catalogue | Foto | Maps | Archaeology | Folklore | Genealogy | History | Search this Website | Copyright Notice

Parliamentary Gazetteer of Ireland 1845



A parish containing a village of the same name, and formerly situated in the barony of Upper Tulla, but recently transferred to the barony of Lower Bunratty, Co. Clare, Munster. Length, 3 miles; Breadth, 1; area, 2,917 acres, 1 rood, 14 perches,—of which 13 acres, 1 rood, 38 perches are in Lough Cullaunyheeda, and 334 acres, 32 perches are in other lakes. Pop., in 1831, 628; in 1841, 699. Houses 101. The surface is good meadow and arable land. The seats are Ashley-Park, Shandangan, Kilkeshin, Derry, and Kilcornan. The village of Kilmurry-Negaul stands 2 miles north by west of Six-Mile-Bridge, on the road thence to Quin. Area of the village, 5 acres. Pop., in 1841, 137. Houses 23.—This parish is a vicarage, and part of the benefice of KILFINAGHTY, in the dio. of Killaloe. The vicarial tithes are compounded for 36 18s. 5d., and the rectorial for 41 10s. 9d.; and the latter are impropriate in the Earl of Egremont. The Roman Catholic chapel has an attendance of 200. In 1834, the Protestants amounted to 3, and the Roman Catholics to 671.

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of Ireland, 1845
Courtesy of Clare Local Studies Project

<< Kilmurry-Negaul