Clare County Library
Clare Places and Placenames
Home | Search Library Catalogue | Foto | Maps | Archaeology | Folklore | Genealogy | History | Search this Website | Copyright Notice

Parliamentary Gazetteer of Ireland 1845



A parish in the barony of Upper Tulla, 3 miles south-west by west of Scarriff, Co. Clare, Munster. Length, 5 miles; breadth, 3; area,10,512 acres, 2 roods, 31 perches,—of which 319 acres, 1 rood, 13 perches are water. Pop.,in 1831, 3,314; in 1841, 3,482. Houses 574. The eastern and central districts are mountainous, moorish, and boggy; but the western district possesses many amenities, and is profusely wooded and watered. The chief heights are Knocknalecka on the east boundary, and Knockglass on the south-east border; and they have altitudes of respectively 818 and 541 feet. The principal water area is part of Loughs Annilloon, St. Bridget, Derrymore, and Kilgory; the first and second lying respectively 133 and 115 feet above sea-level; and all, except the last, situated on the southern boundary. The seats are Ballinahinch, Derrymore, Kilgory, Coolreagh, and Cahirhurly. The principal hamlets are Bodykee, Boherglass, and Cloonlooskaun. The road from Scarriff to Ennis passes through the interior. —This parish is a vicarage, and part of the benefice of KILSEILY, in the dio. of Killaloe. Vicarial tithe composition, 101 11s. Tithe composition, to the amount of 38, is appropriated to the prebend of Tomgrany. The rectorial tithes consist of a moiety of the whole, and are appropriated to an ecclesiastical incumbent. The Roman Catholic chapel has an attendance of 2,000; and is united to the chapel of Tomgrany. In 1834, the Protestants amounted to 9, and the Roman Catholics to 3,545; and 2 pay daily schools had on their books 125 boys and 117 girls.

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of Ireland, 1845
Courtesy of Clare Local Studies Project

<< Kilnoe