Clare County Library
Clare Places and Placenames
Home | Search Library Catalogue | Foto | Maps | Archaeology | Folklore | Genealogy | History | Search this Website | Copyright Notice

Parliamentary Gazetteer of Ireland 1845



A fishing hamlet in the parish of Kilmurry, barony of Ibrickane, Co. Clare, Munster. It is situated on the coast of Malbay, opposite Mutton Island, and 4 miles south-west of Milltown-Malbay.  It stands on the property of the Marquis of Conyngham. A fishery pier was built here by means of a grant of 617 16s. from government, and 115 7s. from the Dublin Committee; but it can be approached by even a vessel of 12 tons only at spring tides. This pier is 330 feet in length, and is in good repair. Yet, with ludicrous absurdity, the pier was erected without any care being used to open a channel to it; and it confronts a sea-ground too obstructed with rocks to be possibly navigable. The consequence was that, a few years ago, no sea-craft or fishing-boats belonged to it except wicker-boats covered with tarred canvass; and yet the obstructing rocks on the way to it were capable of being easily removed without blasting; and the harbour, but for their being in the way, was capable of affording shelter at all times of the year, and of creating a large trade in local fisheries, and a considerable trade in corn with Galway. A coast-guard station exists at Seafield; and the fishing craft within its district in 1836, consisted of 80 row-boats, and were worked by 240 men. In the immediate vicinity are the hamlet of Kilmurry, the seats of Tromra-lodge and Seafield-house, and the ruins of a church and a castle.

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of Ireland, 1845
Courtesy of Clare Local Studies Project

<< Seafield