Clare County Library
Clare Places and Placenames
Home | Search Library Catalogue | Foto | Maps | Archaeology | Folklore | Genealogy | History | Search this Website | Copyright Notice

Parliamentary Gazetteer of Ireland 1845



A parish in the barony of Lower Bunratty, Co. Clare, Munster. It contains the town of NEWMARKET-ON-FERGUS, and the village of BOHERERROAN. Length, south-south-westward, 4 miles; extreme breadth, 3; area, 6,736 acres, 2 perches, of which 613 acres, 1 rood, 32 perches are water. Pop., in 1831, 4,053; in 1841, 4,401. Houses 694. Pop. of the rural districts, in 1841, 2,630. Houses 410. The surface, in a general view, is low, and consists of poor land. The highest ground is on the southern boundary, and has an altitude of 159 feet above the level of the sea. Lough Rosree lies on the eastern boundary; and Loughs Fin, Ballycar, Cahirkine, and Teregheen, lie in the interior. Within the parish is a silver mine. The principal seats are Rathlaheen-cottage, Rathlaheen-house, Craglough-house, and Ballycar-house, the last the residence of Mr. Colpoys. The chief antiquities are the ruins of Moghan-castle and of five other castles. The road from Ennis to Limerick passes through the interior. This parish is a vicarage, and part of the benefice of KILFINAGHTY, in the dio. of Killaloe. Vicarial tithe composition. 30 18s. 6d.; glebe, 5. Part of the rectorial tithes, compounded for 61 16s. 0d., is impropriate in the Earl of Egremont; and part, compounded for 50, is appropriated to the see of Killaloe. The Roman Catholic chapel has an attendance of 1,200; and, in the Roman Catholic parochial arrangement, is united to the chapels of Bunratty and Kilconry. In 1834, the Protestants amounted to 138, and the Roman Catholics to 4,214; and 4 daily schools, one of which was salaried with 14 a-year from the Baptist Society, and one with an unreported sum from Mrs. Studard, had on their books 248 boys and 176 girls.

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of Ireland, 1845
Courtesy of Clare Local Studies Project

<< Tomfinlough