A Short History of Coore National School

When Coore N.S. opened its doors to the children of the surrounding areas in 1879 it was replacing two hedgeschools and a makeshift two classroomed school at Clounlaheen, built in 1846. Our present school, like others in the parish, was built by the late Canon James Cahir, P.P. (1876 – 1914). Its erection incurred no expense on the parish, being funded by Board of Education grants and the voluntary labour of parishioners.

The first teachers appointed to this new establishment were the late Mr. Pat Walsh as principal and his wife, Mrs. Walsh as assistant. They in turn were succeeded by the late Mr. and Mrs. Tom O’Gorman, Mount Scott, who between them gave nearly seventy years of loyal service to the children of the school area. The school continued as a two teacher establishment until 1959 with Mr. Fitzpatrick, Mr. Henry Comber, Lahinch, Miss Twomey and Miss O’Dea succeeding the late Mr. and Mrs. O’Gorman.

coore_ns.jpg (20840 bytes)Coore N.S. became a three-teacher school for the first time in 1959, when Mrs. Margaret Donnellan, Mullagh, was appointed. Her brother, the late Paddy Meade, Annagh was principal at that time and was ably assisted by the late Mrs. Grett Killeen, who retired in 1961. She was succeeded by Mr. P. J. Meade, Annagh, and he in turn was replaced by Miss Mary O’Looney, Mount Scott, in 1963.

In 1964, our present principal, Mr. P. Burns, Cree, was appointed when Mr. Meade transferred to Annagh N.S. Then in 1965, due to an insufficient enrolment of students, we sadly bade farewell to Miss O’Looney, who was offered a diocesan panel replacement in Shinrone, Co. Offaly.

Our school was now a two-teacher school again, with Mr. Burns and Mrs. Donnellan holding the fort—but not for long. Due to the closure of two neighbouring schools, Shanaway in 1967 and Doolough in 1973, our attendance again increased, and Mrs. Mary Clancy, Clohaninchy, joined the staff in September 1973. Now, nineteen years on, we are still a three-teacher school—Mrs. Donnellan, who retired in 1984, being replaced by Mrs. Maura Clohessy, Querrin, coming to us, courtesy of the diocesan panel from Cahermurphy N.S.

Present trends indicate that we shall continue as a three teacher school for some time to come. However with the falling birth rate, emigration and the movement of our youth and our young married couples to urban areas we fear that Coore N.S. will revert to a two teacher establishment once more.

Clare County Library wishes to thank Clare Local Studies Project for preparation of text for this publication.

<< Coore NS

<< History of Education in Clare