Summer Stars 2021
JOIN THE READING ADVENTURE AT YOUR LIBRARY
Be part of the Summer Stars Reading Adventure and discover the joy of reading for pleasure. We want every child in Clare to read as many books as they can during the summer holidays.
Sign up at any of our libraries and you will get your own Summer Stars Reading
Card to keep track of your progress. Every time you show us your progress
we will give you a reward. Everyone that takes part will get an official
Summer Stars Certificate in September.
You can read books borrowed from our libraries or from our e-Books and e-Audiobooks app BorrowBox. It’s all free, and all you need is a library card!
Registration opens on the 14th June.
Beat the summer boredom and sign up for lots of summer stars activities
in the libraries.
We will also have lots of FREE fun activities in our libraries and on our social media channels all summer long. There will be storytimes, book clubs, craft sessions and story writing workshops.
Summer Stars Events
The Mad Atlas with Maeve Devoy
Storytime with Mr. Read
Story Writing Competition
Facebook Live Storytime
This summer your mission is to:
- Sign up for the Summer Stars Reading Adventure after the 14 June.
- Borrow books from branches of Clare County Library and from the BorrowBox app.
- Enjoy reading every single book.
- Log onto our website www.clarelibrary.ie for Summer Stars updates.
- Go to www.summerstars.ie where you can read reviews, or submit your own, get book recommendations and print activity sheets.
- Remember to visit our Facebook, Twitter and Instagram social media channels for regular Summer Stars postings throughout the summer.
- List the books you have read on your Summer Stars Reading Card and remember to return it to your library to receive your Summer Stars Certificate in September.
Information for Parents
It is important to keep children reading during the summer months. There is a lot of research which shows that children who read over the summer months keep the same reading level, and are better prepared for the new school year when they return to school in September. Reading helps develop creativity and the imagination. It can be calming during difficult times and helps improve concentration and communication skills.
The best books to read are books that you love.
We have lots of books to choose from in our libraries that will suit all reading interests.
- Annuals, comics and graphic novels.
- Fact books on lots of topics including sport, coding, science, art, cooking, animals, and pets.
- Fiction stories for all tastes including adventure stories, funny stories, spooky tales and quick reads.
on CD as well as audio books that you listen to on a phone or a tablet.
It all counts as reading!
If you would like advice on choosing books that your child will love ask any of our librarians for help.