Clare County Library
Clare Places and Placenames
Home | Search Library Catalogue | Foto | Maps | Archaeology | Folklore | Genealogy | History | Museum | Search this Website | Copyright Notice | What's New

County Clare: A History and Topography 1837 by Samuel Lewis

 
Killeymur, or Killimer

A parish, in the barony of Clonderlaw, county of Clare, and province of Munster, 4 miles (E. S. E.) from Kilrush, on the river Shannon ; containing 3023 inhabitants. It comprises 4621 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and is principally under tillage. The land is generally good, and there is a small quantity of bog ; sea-weed is used as manure. Flags of superior quality are quarried at Money-Point. The principal seats are Burrane House, the residence of J. Hodges, Esq. ; Donogrogue Castle, of G. Crowe Hodges, Esq. ; Caradole of R. D. Daxon, Esq. ; and Besborough, of the Rev. Theobald Butler. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Killaloe, forming part of the union of Kilmurry-Clonderlaw ; the rectory is partly impropriate in the representatives of Lord Castlecoote, and partly forms a portion of the rectorial union of Kilrush. The tithes amount to 203. 1. 61/2., of which 55. 7. 81/4. is payable to the rector of Kilrush, 64. 12. 33/4. to the impropriator, and 83. 1. 61/2. to the vicar : there is a glebe of one acre. In the R. C. divisions it forms part of the union or district of Kilrush, and contains a chapel, in which is a school of about 100 children. There is also a private school, in which about 30 children are taught. The ruins of the parish church, and of another small church or chapel still exist.

County Clare A History and Topography by Samuel Lewis
Courtesy of Clare Local Studies Project

<< Killimer Parish

 


Killely

Home


Killofin