|Clare County Library
Clare Places and Placenames
County Clare: A History and Topography 1837 by Samuel Lewis
| Clouney, or Cloney
A parish, in the barony of Corcomroe, county of Clare, and province of Munster, 3 miles (E. by S.) from Ennistymon, on the road to Ennis ; containing 3371 inhabitants. This parish comprises 9741 statute acres, which are mostly in tillage ; the land is good and the system of agriculture gradually improving ; there is a considerable quantity of bog. It is in the diocese of Kilfenora ; the rectory is part of the union and corps of the deanery of Kilfenora, and the vicarage forms part of the union of Kiltoraght. The tithes amount to £160, of which two-thirds are payable to the rector and the remainder to the vicar. Divine service is performed in the glebe-house of Kiltoraght. In the R. C. divisions it forms part of the union or district of Ennistymon, and contains a chapel at Tierlahan, near Kilthomas, in which a school is held ; and there are also two private schools, in which altogether are about 250 children.
County Clare A History and Topography
by Samuel Lewis